Canoeing The Condamine

basshunter1987

I had a job out at Chinchilla last week, which I was very happy about! It's been a while since I made it out west for a fish, so planned to fish the Condamine for a whole day. I arrived on Tuesday with enough time to have a look at a few spots on the river before work. Didn't have enough time to get distracted with fishing, so just launched the canoe minus rods and gear, and meandered a little way downstream for some exploring. The river is a bit low at the moment! There's still enough water to fish, but goodness me they suck it dry! Only made it about a kilometre before I came across something I hope i don't see again. Ever. A gill net stretched across the entire river. I had a look around, making sure no snipers were keeping an eye on the place, and proceeded to drag the thing onto the bank. It took a while, because the net itself was pretty heavy, and added to that were about 250 good size Bony Bream! I think whoever put the net in had probably already got to the Yella's and Cod (if there had been any), because it was all Bonies! Plus one turtle who I helped out. I've never felt so sad while fishing! I rang fisheries later that night and let them know about the net.

image.thumb.jpeg.0b0562925156cd7d02f3be8

The next morning, boy was I keen! Couldn't wait to catch a dozen or so big mother Cod! Started setting up the canoe when lo and behold, two blokes from fisheries show up. They had received my voice message and drove from Warwick and Kingaroy! I told them exactly where the net was, and apologised in advance for leaving it with all the Bonies to stink and rot, haha. Off they went, and off I went. I trolled and trolled, clocking up 15 kilometres of river. Was very enjoyable just being on a quiet western river admiring all the flora and fauna, plant life and animals.... And then I thought, "Stuff it. Better stop cheat fishing and try for reals." Well as it turned out, I should have been casting all morning! The very first snag I cast to, I pulled in a pasty white fish. Then it started raining. The hot, dry outback of Tuesday, turned into a cool, wet, low pressure (below 990hPa) Wednesday! Perfect! Time to disprove a few weather myths once and for all. A few hours later, my batteries were getting low, and I headed back. Managed 8 fish all up. A few pasty whites, a few dirty dark ones, and finally ended with an actual Yellowbelly :P:fishing2:

image.thumb.jpeg.16099b6c2615afc1246f907image.thumb.jpeg.8178d15a114355d7453488aimage.thumb.jpeg.f09e3f71cd9ff8e902b5231image.thumb.jpeg.42e4989c7df88261de84295image.thumb.jpeg.aff7065c942338372b233edimage.thumb.jpeg.c76e1091203866476d10ef4image.thumb.jpeg.e84bc772a3714b7dc4588b7image.thumb.jpeg.a87ac925cc84ab133701aebimage.thumb.jpeg.8c87f861bc26bfb5b6cd9bbimage.thumb.jpeg.fa540a1f765e391ad6e6241

Last time I reported a set net to 1800 number fisheries advised me to leave it alone, I was rung back by field officer for exact location and details. I assumed that they were going to observe it and try and catch the person setting it.

The obscene thing about these gill nets is that they are very cheap on ebay and even sold by persons in QLD last time I looked.. I wrote to Mcardle when he was minister and did not even get a response.

Cheers

Ray

On 3 January 2016 at 5:35 AM, Angus said:

Nice report man looks like cool country to paddle.

Was the fox baited or shot?

That seems a good number of yellas for one session :)

Angus

Yeah I enjoy a western river paddle! Nice and quiet.

I'm not sure about the fox, I did guess baited though, thinking maybe it made it to the water for a drink and died there.

Archived