water in your fuel

Dubbzy

Recently i purchased a new boat , 5.35m glass with a 115hp 4 stroke.

Took it out yesterday for a test run and noticed the glass bowl in the fuel filter was full when i got home. I called the petrol station and they said they had no reports of bad fuel. I did store with 3/4 tank of fuel in the hot garage for a few weeks. 

I found this advice on line. Would this be the likely cause?

"If the tank is not full ..when it cools at night the tank will condinsate and water will get into your tank..esp whith the hight humidity we have been getting"

It is a possibility and I have heard of this before. Try and keep your tank full or alternatively their will be additive to get rid of the water. (Some people use like a cup of mentholated sprits but not sure on the quantity to fuel ratio so I would not be recommending that).

Lucky you noticed the bowl on the water separator. Just empty it and keep the tank full and monitor the situation.

29 minutes ago, Luvit said:

It is a possibility and I have heard of this before. Try and keep your tank full or alternatively their will be additive to get rid of the water. (Some people use like a cup of mentholated sprits but not sure on the quantity to fuel ratio so I would not be recommending that).

Lucky you noticed the bowl on the water separator. Just empty it and keep the tank full and monitor the situation.

yep, i think it will be easier just to keep full, will have to keep an eye on the glass bowl next trip

Ethanol fuel will do that too. Look up the videos on Youtube, and see how movement will eventually separate out the water out of ethanol fuel. Condensation does happen, but shouldn't be much in only a quarter of a tank.

The only thing I can think of also is that when the boat was new and the tank was empty it accumulated then. Lucky for water separators.

39 minutes ago, Tybo said:

Ethanol fuel will do that too. Look up the videos on Youtube, and see how movement will eventually separate out the water out of ethanol fuel. Condensation does happen, but shouldn't be much in only a quarter of a tank.

The only thing I can think of also is that when the boat was new and the tank was empty it accumulated then. Lucky for water separators.

Ethanol tends to do the opposite - it attracts water and is miscible. Hence why the addition of ethanol is often used to remove water from tanks.

Forward facing vented tanks always were a big problem. Also note guys that fuel is no longer required to be dyed so appears clear in colour from distributors that no longer use it. Makes it hard to distinguish between ULP and PULP :(

• 2 months later...

Archived