ecogear

faulked

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fisher_90 wrote:

Whats the point in spending that much money on line when you can get something half the price thats maybe 0.05mm thicker?

Fisher_90: That question could apply to absolutely any consumer good. Cars, boats, food and so forth.

If you enjoy something heaps and have the coin, why not ge the best you can.

I always think when my boss rocks up in one of his various 150k cars \"as if you would spend that on a car\".

But im sure if i told him what i spend on fishing gear...:P Well you see my point.

Angus

Same reason people use high end brand stuff instead of middle of the road brands, might be slightly thinner or lighter, might be slightly better quality, but lots more \"wank factor\" being the reality! :)

After reading all this thread through, I actually made the effort to go and track some of these lures down and have a look at em. I can confidently say that there was something small stuck to the card, but it was that small I just about could not see it with my old eyes!

Cant believe anyone would muck about with a lure so small and light.

Fisher_90 wrote:

But it still does the job nearly as well if not aswell as the product for twice the price

As do other consumer goods half the price.

Also i would have diagree. I had Braid on my Twin Poweer that was worth about 60 bucks for 100m or so. COuld practically feel the fish swim past the lure. You dont get that with cheaper brands.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Fisher_90 wrote:
But it still does the job nearly as well if not aswell as the product for twice the price

As do other consumer goods half the price.

Also i would have diagree. I had Braid on my Twin Poweer that was worth about 60 bucks for 100m or so. COuld practically feel the fish swim past the lure. You dont get that with cheaper brands.

Angus

Looked at the price of Braid recently Angus? I reckon its gone up about 25% in the last couple of months. That is just about the cheaper stuff!

Feral wrote:

Same reason people use high end brand stuff instead of middle of the road brands, might be slightly thinner or lighter, might be slightly better quality, but lots more \"wank factor\" being the reality! :)

After reading all this thread through, I actually made the effort to go and track some of these lures down and have a look at em. I can confidently say that there was something small stuck to the card, but it was that small I just about could not see it with my old eyes!

Cant believe anyone would muck about with a lure so small and light.

I guess i will have to stick to my wank factor then when it comes to fishing. I still like to feel every bite. When i do get something big i still like to know im going to land it and not lose a fish of a lifetime due to cheap crap equipment. I also like to know that my gear is going to last a good amount of time rather than it rusting away or breaking every trip.

Good quality equipment might not necessarily mean more fish but it certainly helps for a more enjoyable and safe time on the water. Always buy the best you can afford.

Dan23 wrote:

You guys should see how far Kev's expesive gear casts before you critisise. Ask Ray, he was impressed. That braid he buys is insanely thin.

Oh yeh I find the thin (yet expensive) braid a pleasure to use! I love it on my baitcaster. I also find it wears better over time.

And someone asked whether with the really fine stuff you get knots? I found i got no more than with cheaper/thicker lines. Now that I have the hang of my shimano and abu garcia reels I very very rarely get knots or overspools anymore.

Joel ;)

if u know the best knots fisher-90 and practice for some time, i rarely have a problem with my knots. i seldom loose fish due to line snaps, mostly because they chewed my leader. when u look at expensive braid, u'll see why i use 23lb. 8lb,12lb r just too thin, the strengh;s enough but the diameter's too low for my application(baitcaster). yes, as angus stated, with premium braid, u can feel everything happened to ur lure 50 yrs away

obone wrote:

Fisher_90 wrote:
No i asked if it is harder to tie knots

Oh haha soz.

I don't find so, no. I just find all braid hard to tie :laugh: . I just can't get the hang of that bloody bimany twist :angry:

Joel ;)

A few people have raised this issue. How is it harder tying braid?

Do you mean braid to hooks? Coz you should not do that anyway.

If you mean leader knots, mono to braid, i find it easy as.

Angus

:) I hav'nt used braid for that long but I find it easy to tie. I mean there's only 1 knot I need to know, and thats the knot to tie the leader to the braid:P

After doing it a couple of times I can now do it in the dark while out fishing. I'm sorry I dont know the name of the knot but it is realy easy and strong.;)

Jayson

shortie wrote:

I guess i will have to stick to my wank factor then when it comes to fishing. I still like to feel every bite. When i do get something big i still like to know im going to land it and not lose a fish of a lifetime due to cheap crap equipment.

I did not say cheap or crap Shortie, I just said the difference between good stuff and top shelf stuff is just mostly wank factor.

IE There would be little difference performance wise between a $300 reel and a $1000 reel. But it would look good to all ya mates!

Feral wrote:

shortie wrote:

I guess i will have to stick to my wank factor then when it comes to fishing. I still like to feel every bite. When i do get something big i still like to know im going to land it and not lose a fish of a lifetime due to cheap crap equipment.

I did not say cheap or crap Shortie, I just said the difference between good stuff and top shelf stuff is just mostly wank factor.

IE There would be little difference performance wise between a $300 reel and a $1000 reel. But it would look good to all ya mates!

Feral i totally agree. Hence my reel (well my most often used 2500 spin reel)set me back a little under 300. But id dare say there would be a much larger difference between say a 50 buck and a 300 buck. In that price range i think you get what you pay for. After that it gets as you say \"a bit wanky\".

This of course only counts if your not talking about massive sharks. Hahaha. A Tiagra 80W will set you back over 1000. And even they get spooled from time to time!

Angus

chubbstar wrote:

:) I hav'nt used braid for that long but I find it easy to tie. I mean there's only 1 knot I need to know, and thats the knot to tie the leader to the braid:P

After doing it a couple of times I can now do it in the dark while out fishing. I'm sorry I dont know the name of the knot but it is realy easy and strong.;)

Jayson

I use 3 knots -

Albright leader to braid

Bowline for the loop knot for anything smaller than Barra

Rapala knot for Barra or bigger loop knots (which is really just a bowline locked with a blood knot)

getting back on subject!...i have not used ecogear hardbody's as yet, and was about to do the unthinkable and buy one from the competition, and what shows up in my store today? You guessed it...SX40s+SX46 + more!

Now I can get one (or 10!) and see what all the fuss is about. Price ranges from 16.99 - 18.99 depending on size and colour.

Any colour reccomendations for bream locally (northside)

Rocket

Mate, that sux I was too early! Oh well I have a few to pick up anyway so probably better of I wasn't tempted. Funny we were just talking about them huh? Thanks for your help this morning by the way. My old man talked to the guys down in Coffs about the raiders and apparently what kev said about them falling apart was true but the new models have addressed the build quality issues and like you said they are now pretty reliable.

Got a question, since these lures are so small and light, I am suprised at the size of the reels being used, I use a 1000 and a 50 series spinning reels for Bass fishing with 50mm plastics and lures that are slightly bigger, (with either 6lb braid or 6lb mono depending on whether I am in the mood to tie fiddly leaders!)) to get the extra casting distance and lightness, yet these lures are smaller, but people seem to be favouring 2500 series reels?

Why is that?

A 2500 is just a more comfortable size in my opinion. Right now I use a size 30 Okuma which is aproximately a 3000 size, yet even with my $49 rod, I can cast SX40's over shultz. The better reels have long cast spools which have been designed to allow for longer casts even with a biggish reel.

Also, if the reel has a spare spool, you can use it for 2 applications (ie have 4lb on one spool, 10lb on the other), but a 1000 size reel won't allow 2 applications, it's too small.

What I mean is you can put 2-4lb line on one spool (for Bream) and 10-12lb on the other (Snapper, etc). If you hook a big mackeral or something while in the bay, it (hopefully) won't spool you on a medium sized reel, but a 1000 has a small capacity and your line could be gone fairly quick. My brother once hooked a legal Mackerel on 6lb and it nearly spooled him (a small reel).

Archived