ecogear

faulked

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you order a bunch of other stuff it's cheap on Motackle. About the same as BCF if you only buy a couple once you add the $10 shipping. I just put in a $214 order for myself and my dad. Almost all of it was small hard bodies :laugh:

I think I have a problem

I caught 17 fish on my last sx40 in under two days on 8lb Vanish flurocarbon leader and 8lb Platypus super braid. That was in tannen water. Clear water my dad outfished me with 4lb fireline and 4lb fluro. He busted off on that gear though with something big. Flathead seem to love sx40s so it's definately an 8lb or up leader in brissie's surrounds because the water isn't very clear.

p.s. read the instructions in the packet. they are in broken English but are worth reading. If you're in a boat casting at the banks and working back down into drop offs was deadly for me.

i just went out the back and had a go it took a few casts before i could get much past 5or so metres but i think the braid must get heavier with water each cast and after awhile i could hit about 10 plus metres accuracy i think will come in time and maybe a softer rod i am using a 3to5 which is a little stiff

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

there r some UL trout rods designed for throwing 1-3grms lures and a SX40 is not lite at all for them to throw. just go to a big tackle store and find the lightest rod available that's not a GLX,ha

Not a GLX Kevin what are you saying. I think it would be bye bye SX 40 before the GLX.:ohmy:

shortie believe me when i say that i'm not trying to show off but at present i use 6lb fireline crystal, a graphite 7ft sss rod from bcf and a daiwa 2500 regal Xi so all pretty basic stuff but i can cast sx40's to the other side of schultz which is about 20m or more pretty easily and if there is a tail wind i usually have to stop the cast short or it will get snagged on the other side.

i think the key is to flick your lure rather than doing a wave of your rod.

one final thing check that your lure is either rolling or stationary while casting instead of spinning head over tail as this will drastically reduce casting distance. if this is the case you may need to alter your cast until it does so

i think the problem with shortie is not his casting. i could fire my sx40 well over the bank using a cheaper PROCYON 2-6LB with SYMETER 1500 spooled with 4lb braid. but when i cast with his set up, the 2 problem i noticed r. 1, the spool's not full enough to let line go really free. 2, the leader knot significantly reduce the speed of lure. his casting;s ok, a very good flick.

If you are using an SX40 then it's Bream, wild Bass or Trout (Which I doubt) you're after. I use 2lb Siglon Basic Fluorocarbon Line straight through for light hardbody Breamin'. SX40's are only 2.5g so 2lb braid and under is the best option.

Try a Smith Camion Dredge or Jackall Chubby Deep. Both are over 4g, cast like a rocket and dive to just under 3m max.

If you aren't targeting Bream on them and are going for something like Flathead or Cod there is no point in using a 40mm lure. You will catch far more rats and when a bigger fish takes it, it won't just take it, it will inhale it making short work of light leaders.

Something 60-80mm is tops for Cod and Flatties, SX60's or Halco Scorpians 65's in metallic chrome colours with 10lb+ leader are a good starting point.

Troy

I think i have the problem sussed.

When i cast the line seems to come of the reel in small coils.

When i trolled the other day i let out about 100m of line and then rewound with the tension on.

Casting the lure is now not a problem.

So much for getting the reel spooled by the tackle shop.

blue_mako wrote:

If you aren't targeting Bream on them and are going for something like Flathead or Cod there is no point in using a 40mm lure. You will catch far more rats and when a bigger fish takes it, it won't just take it, it will inhale it making short work of light leaders.

Troy

Problem I'm having is the places I target Bream also hold heaps of Flathead. So going lighter than 8lb just isn't an option unless you want to be forever losing lures. Might get less bream because of this but flatties as a by catch is ok with me. I'm mainly targeting bream in tannen water and at low light though so it's not such an issue. When I go clear water I can't get a touch on 8lb though so you just have to risk it.

Archived