Breakfast Creek Battle With The Monster

The Mad Hughesy

IMG_9773.thumb.JPG.13fa2aab32907cacd1866

Last night is exactly what keeps me coming back for more! After dropping my partner and her friend off at Qpac for the opening night of sound of music, I headed to the breakfast creek boat ramp armed with my cast net and rods. Not a whole lot of bait around, may have been the falling tide but I managed to get a few prawns and some small mullet. First bait out were the prawns which seemed to disappear quickly. One rod started to buzz but then stopped as quick as it started. Tightened the drag up and lifted the rod tip just in case, which to my surprise hooked this quality sized bream. It’s funny, usually the bigger bream are really picky and will only hit fairly light leader etc so to catch this on 20lb leader was a bit of a shock. Few happy snaps and back in the drink she went.

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.4e30479d00baa46IMG_9782.thumb.JPG.d259c51d643bc5b462162

After nailing this chunky 34cm bream on a live prawn I didn’t have any action until 5 minutes before I had to leave. I had started to pack up my gear leaving the rods till last. I walked away from my gear and down to the water’s edge to release my remaining live baits. Just as I started to pour them out my reel with a small live mullet on started going bonkers, I raced up to it and set the hook. I did my best to try and turn its head away from the pylons under the brekky creek hotel but there was no stopping whatever this was. I had the drag of my stradic 3000 nearly locked up with 20lb main line and I could not turn this things head, It just headed straight for structure. You can guess what happens next, I was busted off. My first guess was a shark but the way it swam straight for structure and that I was unable to turn its head with fairly heavy gear makes me think otherwise…either way it was big whatever it was. It’s been about 3 years since I fished brekky creek and it’s safe to say I will be back with a vengeance! I will get you whatever you are

Would have been fun! Was the homeless guy in the park behind you? I was killing some time down there the other week waiting for the fiance, ended up feeling pretty uneasy and left. Probably a bit judgmental of me but didn't want to take any chances as i was about half his size and he was pacing around being weird.

Archived