Sweet Somerset

basshunter1987

Somerset Dam has never really been on my frequently visited list, mostly because I get all sooky around bigger boats (mainly the skiing kind). With the Westvale boat ramp at the top end now though, it makes it both closer to home for me (only an hour away), and also gets you onto water that is more where I wanna be in the canoe!

I always hear about monster winter Bass caught in the lake, and finally gave in to go try for some. Or at the very least, return home with photographic evidence that I caught even one fish :8_laughing:

Well, here's my evidence! I very much enjoyed motoring around this lake, especially amongst the timber. My home ground of North Pine sadly lacks standing timber! I think I'll be visiting Somerset more often from now on, it hasn't let me down yet! :1_grinning::1310_thumbsup_tone1::1310_thumbsup_tone1::1310_thumbsup_tone1:

My usual favourite Flicker Shads did all the damage, and most fish were caught in water less than 5 or 6 metres. Steep bank drop offs were key, as were shallow flat areas with a drop into the river channel nearby.

image.pngimage.jpegimage.pngimage.jpegimage.pngimage.jpegimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.pngimage.png

Thanks for reading!

Luke

Other advantage of the top end ramp at somerset is now that the dam is classed as "full at 80%" and they wont let it get deeper,  the ramp will never be usable for big boats again, so all the @rsehole ski jockeys who were using it regardless of the 6 knot limit wont be able to any more. So while I wont be able to launch my boat there, I will certainly be able to continue to launch my kayak there.

Archived