Expression Of Interest Easter Long Weekend

Danielle

What do you all think about camping on Flinders Beach Nth Straddie for the Easter Long Weekend?

Fri 25 March - Monday 27 March 

Beachfront camping, limited amenities but for $10/site/day can have access to facilities at Adder Rock Campsite.

4WD access only and requires a permit.

This will be filling up fast so thought I'd see if there was some interest and if so would need to put our skates on in terms of locking it down! Only 8 sites available.

Yeah easter is tough. For me it will be family time as it will be Alastair's first xmas. And what benno said about crowds.

Good on you for getting a thread up though I am sure we can work something out. I have wanted to do a straddy social weekend for ages. Stay wherever and meet at the SLC for a beer and informal awards (longest of 3 species or something). Anyway food for thought.

Angus

Kudos for raising this Danielle. I'd like to make a suggestion to help planning events for the future. For them to be attractive for me personally to want to attend, they'd need to be more biased towards boating/fishing. Being an offshore fisho, if the weather is good, I'm outside fishing. In SEQ we are so lucky that we can do events and offer different types of fishing, with locations being chosen based on what's in season.

For example, this time you year, camping at Wavebreak is good as you have plenty of Mackerel grounds 5 mins offshore. The seaway is very attractive as it allows the smaller boats to go outside if they wish. Wavebreak itself is an attractive option too, it provides great access around the island for awesome land based sessions. This time of year we usually clean up.

Other options that could involve boating are:

• Tipplers passage camping grounds(5 mins to the jumpinpin, can offer offshore and inshore fishing, as well as land based)
  • Yellow Patch beach camping at Moreton Island(10-20mins by boat to the Cape, or you have curtin reef)
  • Amity point caravan park(people with boats can drive over in them and leave in the bay)
  • Blaksley at North Straddie(25mins to SPB and lots of inshore fishing)

The other type of activity that would pull me away from offshore would be a long trek. I recently have done Sundowner National park. Awesome 4x4ing and apparently good cod fishing. 1.5 hour medium 4x4ing to get to the camp site. 3 hours to the gate from Brissy. 

The other area I have recently visited is Woodgate beach at Bundy. 4x4 access, and can camp on top of the sand dunes. Perfect land based fishing and for those with small tinnies, you can beach launch quite easily.

I did say I'd like to see a Wavebreak soon, so how about we pick a time early in Feb to do a Wavebreak camping trip? Macky season should be in full swing by then. 3 day trip, Friday - Sunday. 

Sorry to hijack your thread, I hope the info help with thinking of places.

No no don't apologise!!! It's for everyone - even if I may not be able to make it I'm just happy if it gets off the ground. That is why I did pick Straddie though - but probably a little messy getting back to boats etc. I did look at Wavebreak because I remember you mentioning it and looked it up but couldn't find any info about camping there... Obviously I was just not looking in the right spot so I'm in and again suggest the first weekend of March or even a little earlier?

6 minutes ago, Danielle said:

No no don't apologise!!! It's for everyone - even if I may not be able to make it I'm just happy if it gets off the ground. That is why I did pick Straddie though - but probably a little messy getting back to boats etc. I did look at Wavebreak because I remember you mentioning it and looked it up but couldn't find any info about camping there... Obviously I was just not looking in the right spot so I'm in and again suggest the first weekend of March or even a little earlier?

It doesn't work that way Danielle. When we organise trips to island camping grounds we plan ahead an ensure we can ferry everyone over(my point is basically, if you don't own a boat, it does not mean in the slightest you'll miss out), even if it means multiple trips. However I think we should have a lot of boat owners in the crowd. It's never been an issue in the past, and I still don't foresee it being an issue.

The way it goes usually is like this. We start a thread to plan, and people post up if they need a deckie spot. Then skippers can reach out if they have the room. The reverse is true as well, and skippers put up deckie spots. Personally, I always have 2 spots for fishing free on my boat and 5 spots free for taking people and their gear to the camping spot. This method is how I have made good mates from this site, as each trip I generally have different folk on my boat.

@demarc awesome input and @Danielle demarc is def worth hearing as the wanderers events have been big and successful in the past.

I also thought the Noosa social comp was an awesome one. Good turn out and has plenty of options for land based, skinny water, river/estuary and offshore. Even rocky headlands and Lake MacDonald. A full package. Boreen Point camp grounds I thought looked pretty good and the Apollonian Hotel just up for it is awesome.

Anyway many many options.

1 hour ago, Danielle said:

@demarc I reckon you should take the reins on this one to get things moving.

Thanks, but I'm not a very responsible person. Lucky these socials run themselves, it's not like the hard work you put in for the xmas BBQ.

First have to get majority on location. This time of year is Mackerel season, so Wavebreak is still a very attractive option. \

- Wavebreak, Goldcoast(officially no camping, but if respect is shown for the grounds no one gets upset at camping)

- Blaksley, North Straddie

Date:

Gotta find a date everyone is happy with. Late Jan early Feb has my vote.

I like where this is heading. Woodgate is a great place, there is an artificial reef just offshore attracting bottom fish and pelagics. Burrum River boat ramp just down the road which has great river fishing as well. Even Bribie Island shouldn't be written off. Nice camp grounds and access to offshore fishing.

Any of the other options mentioned would certainly have my interest as well.

Great input there Julian, cheers. With the age of my kids I won't/can't commit to a full weekend yet so won't have input into dates/locations but as always am very keen in theory pending these details. I'll then work out whether it's just me that attends or whether I possibly bring my 5yr old and possibly Dad and/or brother. So I'll just look on in interest for now :) 

How about the 24th,25th,26th of February at Wavebreak Island, Goldcoast? This is very close to the new moon and a great time for Mackerel and other pelagics.

The other dates around the new moon in Jan are on Australia Day, and I imagine the waterways would be packed. The draw card for Wavebreak is, it's so close to shore. People are not limited by boat size, and kayaks are easily taken over. There are numerous sand flats on Wavebreak which all hold yabbies.

If we agree on when and where, I'll start a new thread.

55 minutes ago, demarc said:

How about the 24th,25th,26th of February at Wavebreak Island, Goldcoast? This is very close to the new moon and a great time for Mackerel and other pelagics.

The other dates around the new moon in Jan are on Australia Day, and I imagine the waterways would be packed. The draw card for Wavebreak is, it's so close to shore. People are not limited by boat size, and kayaks are easily taken over. There are numerous sand flats on Wavebreak which all hold yabbies.

If we agree on when and where, I'll start a new thread.

I like this. 

Just want to add that PLEASE don't think I'm being a stick in the mud!!!! I want to go believe me!  And looking around there's a lot of talk about Police 'turning a blind eye' 'not enforced' as long as you are a responsible patron.  

However, as this is being organised through AFO I don't believe it's right that we can condone or encourage camping over there. 

In all honesty it sounds idyllic and as a freespirited hippie-wannabe I would probably not hesitate yakking over and pitching a tent myself (once I am certain Id not drown in the attempt). 

But I am not a moderator and still consider myself an AFO newbie and do not claim to know it all. But my conscience and common sense tells me it's not ok.

What about South Currigee??? Tipplers?? Or even the very southern tip of Nth Straddie???  Something almost there where we can sleep then chill on Wavebreak and the waterways during the day??

AGAIN SUPER KEEN and don't want to step on anyone's toes just want to do the right thing.

As Angus has said, can of worms, and I will only say one thing on this topic and no more.

We've been doing Wavebreak socials for many years. Sad to see AFO miss out(on the Wavebreak side), the events aren't run by AFO, just for general knowledge, just people organising socials(AFO can never be held liable for ANYTHING at these socials). I wouldn't even call these socials, events that you'd probably be use to. It's more like just a bunch of mates camping and talking B/S. You should really re-think your position.

I should be able to make that weekend Julian (well, at least I definitely don't have anything on at this stage so will put it on the calendar :)). I can understand Danielle's apprehension having not been there and at the end of the day it's an individuals decision if they partake or not. Having been there a few times, I'll paint this picture to help others who haven't - we camp on the northern side of the island and when I've been there, there has always been at least 3-4 other large-ish groups camping further up the beach, and we've never had an issue. I suspect over the years that between the cops and council, noone has taken responsibility for enforcing the rule so unless people are up to no good they've just left them alone. I personally LOVE the place - was my first social event and had the joy of going in MickFillets boat, met some top people (many of them are still on here) and had a ball. And the best part, it's free!!!  :) 

Archived