Which Lb Of Braid

hooklineandsinker

Hi Everyone,

I got a baitcaster about 2 months ago and I got it spooled with 14lb line while i was learning to cast it.. I am not a lot better then what I was when i first started. My question is, is 14lb braid too heavy for bass fishing around brisbane. I am land based so I may be more prone to snags but I am thinking of going maybe 8lb or even 10 lb.

All advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks Adam

It would depend a lot on what you're casting as well as the distance you want to achieve. Lighter lures will go further with lighter braid but you may get busted off occasionally. Not trying to cast any dispersions at all here but it also depends on angling experience/ability and confidence as well. I am comfortable flicking lures on 4lb gear and accept that sometimes something too big comes along. Lighter lines also give the lure a better action.

as a general comment, your suggested 8-10lb range should give you a bit more distance than 14lb and 10lb realistically has heaps of stopping power of you need it. As you build confidence and experience you may be able to drop to 6lb and so on if you want more of a challenge.

big tip - cheap braid is cheap for a reason. Buy as good a quality as you can afford, it might sting a little at first but will pay a dividend later in castability, knot tying and longevity.

15 minutes ago, benno573 said:

It would depend a lot on what you're casting as well as the distance you want to achieve. Lighter lures will go further with lighter braid but you may get busted off occasionally. Not trying to cast any dispersions at all here but it also depends on angling experience/ability and confidence as well. I am comfortable flicking lures on 4lb gear and accept that sometimes something too big comes along. Lighter lines also give the lure a better action.

as a general comment, your suggested 8-10lb range should give you a bit more distance than 14lb and 10lb realistically has heaps of stopping power of you need it. As you build confidence and experience you may be able to drop to 6lb and so on if you want more of a challenge.

big tip - cheap braid is cheap for a reason. Buy as good a quality as you can afford, it might sting a little at first but will pay a dividend later in castability, knot tying and longevity.

Thanks mate. I am getting more and more confident with it. I am heading out tomorrow morning to try lighter lures with it for the first time. I will consider getting 10lb braid when I go to a tackle shop next. Any particular brand for braid you recommend

Adam, you cant beat the blokes at Tackleworld Lawnton they will look after you!!! Always good to pop in there and have a chat to them, wealth of knowledge!! 

i myself have only just started fishing with a baitcaster, normally fish light as spin, 6lb main and 3ish pund leader!! biggest i have landed was 46 on this outfit, bricked me a couple times but was quick enought with the bail arm to take the pressure off the line before it went ping.
im fishing 20ish lb (not sure exactly what its spoled with as i bought the reel spooled from a mate) on the baitcaster, but its more setup for jacks and cod, the only thing i change if chasing bass is anything up to 10lb fluro leader...

cheeers

Dan

Archived