Hollow Fluoro Dacron

PheasantTail

Hi all,

I’m new here and have to admit I'm here for a little scrounging.  I am a freshwater ‘trouty’ flyfisher and I’m hoping one of you may be able to assist with what might ordinarily be ‘left-overs’.

I’m trying to access a couple of three (3) metre lengths of fluorescent yellow and/or orange/pink, hollow braided, Dacron of 20 or 30 lb breaking strain. Braided Dacron is thicker than some of the other braided materials and will suit my purpose admirably.

I want to use them to make some in-line sighters/indicators in some Czech/Euro nymphing set-ups.

To purchase a couple of 100 metre spools would be entirely uneconomical and rather crazy for what I am trying to do.

If someone is able to put a few meters of this material in the mail for me, for your trouble and postage costs, I’d be more than happy to send a handful of dollars to a bank account.

In anticipation, thank you,

Ray  0434 034 729

Welcome mate.  

Ive only got this stuff that I use for smaller wind ons.

My dacron is all white with the green stripe in 50 and 80lb. 

Let me know if its of any use to you. Happy to just post at no expense. Pay it forward someday.  

And when you get your experiment up and running, show us some pics so we can understand better. And some fish pics too. 

Cheers. 

20170612_171142.jpg

Thank you Junky - you're a gentleman.

Politely, I must decline your kind offer. Your braided Mono is too thin for me to work with. The Dacron is thicker and lays flat.

I've already had a go with some 50lb white Dacron and coloured it with two highlighter pens. It works well but is just a little too heavy (bulky) for what I want and the colour fades/washes off. (I'll try and attach a picture).

Loops are made by threading the braid, with a needle, back inside itself.

20lb or 30lb hollow Dacron will probably will be perfect.

Thanks again,

Ray

fullsizeoutput_1a8.jpeg

No worries.

It does loop very nicley and holds extremely well. I didnt have a dollor handy. :whistle:  

As you say, it doesnt lay as flat and is not as flexible as dacron when looped. 

I use the 30lb for smaller wind ons up to 60lb and Ive been using Gudebrod 50lb butt leader on my heavy wind ons up to 150lb. 

20170612_183944.jpg

Crikey!  You've piqued my curiosity now Junky.

I'm very new at all this stuff (even the fly fishing for trout caper). I even had to go off and find out what a 'wind-on' was.  Where would we be without Google and YouTube?

Just to confirm, that double looped arrangement that you have pictured above is made of the Cortland 30lb mono as shown in your original picture? Yes?  The braided mono is much thinner than the Dacron and when I have looked at it in the tackle shops, I though it was too small for me to work with.

Maybe I should try this. If you were to be so kind as to text me your address, I'll send you a stamped and addressed envelope and maybe you could send me a few feet.

For your interest, I'm looking to attach this fluoro coloured sighter/indicator on the end of my tapered (light-weight leader) and then attach the other (bottom) end of the sighter to very light tippet material. As the tippets will be so short, it (the sighter) will never go through the tip of my rod as a 'wind-on' would.

Most often, the sighter is suspended below the rod tip and held above the water while tracking the submerged nymphs as they are carried downstream by the current.

This guy is not using an indicator, but as he says, "strikes can be hard to see".  A sighter/indicator helps here. Sorry, it's small time stuff for you game-fishing guys.

Wow! Talking of 150lb breaking strain boggles my mind. I'm thinking 3lb and 4lb.

Yes. The loops are made from the 30lb spool in the pic mate. I made them after you sent me the pic of the dacron. Once i realised what you were up to i knew what you needed. 

I use the mason stainless mono (about 30lb) wire trace material to make my loops in all size braided mono instead of a needle. I found needles let go all the time. When the wire is folded in half it creates a pinch point to put the braided mono end in l. This makes the loop easier to do. Once the loop is made and the desiered loop size is created its simply a matter of pinching the braided mono between fingers and pulling the wire out, same as you do with the dacron. 

Also, the braided mono can be pushed towards itself and expanded much easier than dacron. 

Another thing is dacron retains more water. 

Braided mono lasts 10x longer than dacron and is more resiliant to abrasions in my opinion.

Just send my a pm with your address and ill send some through the post. I have an abundance of stamps and my daughter loves filling out envelopes. 

Honestly dont mind at all. If it helps you out then you may have some new techniques to try out. I havent done mush fly but the leader and tippits are done relativelythe same as wind ons, in fact they are a wind on. 

Cheers 

Damo. 

20170613_154942.jpg

20170613_155209.jpg

20170613_155256.jpg

20170613_155318.jpg

20170613_155931.jpg

Just wanted to say to those following this thread - Angry51 is one of them - that this man, 'Junky' (Damo), is a gentleman of the highest order.  I think many may already be aware of this.

He has gone out of his way entirely, humoured this novice who is also a 'newbie' to these columns and helped me out tremendously. He has run around with advice, camera/photos, mailing stuff to me, etc., etc., all to assist me with this 'small time' matter.

Again, hats off to you Damo - you are the best - thanks.

Ray

All good Ray. Happy to help mate.

It was something I was familiar with so no skin off my nose and I thoroughly enjoy making fishing rigs and helping out if I can. 

Posting some material to you is no sweat either. My beautiful 6yr old daughter helped me out there. She loves posting letters and the like. 

Thank you for the kind words.

Have a safe a fun trip.

Damo.

Hi Damo,

Well, blow me down, it arrived this morning.  Blimey! Aussie Post is not always hopeless; that was quick!

Thanks mate.  Reading the envelope, I have a huge smile on my face as I see your six year old daughter has gone to considerable trouble in addressing it.  Tell her I am very, very, very impressed.

It's ironic, you know, it was only this week, I was handed a birthday card I wrote as a six year old (more than sixty years ago!!!). That was an interesting thing to see.

I have to say, your daughter's handwriting is far, far better than mine was as a six year old. Tell her I am a firm believer in the idea that 'neat is good' and her work is really, really neat:)

For your trouble Damo, I have to say thanks again - it is very much appreciated. Can't wait to 'play' with it.

It's back to bag packing for me.

Cheers,

R

Archived