First Family Voyage - Success!

kmcrosby78

Well, my wife and I finally decided that it was time to unleash our 2 and a bit year old tyro George today and thus the 4 of us went fishign for the first time in the boat. True to form George had us on edge prior to leaving home when he refused, for a fair while, to try on his lifejacket, to the point that I/we decided that we'd better take both cars in case things don't progress past the boat ramp phase (I even quickly went and loaded the bigger esky with ice and threw in the mackerel trolling rod in case this eventuated as plan B would have seen my 5yr old Liam and I pressing on to Wello Pt to try for more mackerel ....... :whistle:).

Anyway, George behaved, we had a great day on the water in amazingly still conditions, caught a 50cm flattie trolling on the way out (I let Liam reel it in and he did a great job), we pumped some yabbies and the boys caught soldier crabs, then we anchored up and fished for over an hour (longer than I thought we'd last). Unfortunately the timing wasn't great as the tide had just finished flowing out and it seemed to take an eternity to start flowing back in, but when it did we caught enough little bream and tarwhine to keep us amused and my wife caught a 29ish cm whiting which was added to the esky. We put the undersized fish into an icecream container so George could release them which he loved.

So a good result all round and I'm already looking forward to the next outing. Won't be long til we have a bigger boat (hopefully within 2 years) and are venturing further into the bay trolling for mackerel and catching billions of winter whiting :)

595a4360b1563_GeorgesfirstvoyageJune2017.jpg.ecb5442b6eb4e145a22bac4c777e4743.jpg595a438878967_TingalpaCkJune2017.jpg.e398eace290a7147b2df910cd68f7c06.jpg

Cheers guys, yep they'll be fishing buddies for life alright, and the wife quite likes it to (only problem is she normally outfishes me ..... :whistle:).

Angus - spot on mate, great excuse to take 'them' fishing ..... :)

Mark - I wasn't real sure where the yabby banks were on the southern side, I trolled for flatties through the main section where Tingalpa & Lota creeks split (got the flattie near here beside the dropoff) and continued around the corner to the right heading out of the river. Pulled up to a bank on the southern side there (in the main channel heading out of the creek) but the mud was VERY soft and was covered in seagrass and hermit crabs so I hopped back in and went back to the main bank on the northern/Lota side for yabbies, then fishined in between the red beacons in the main channel inside the mouth area.

13 hours ago, Luvit said:

Fishing, best family activity out there I recon.

I agree Wayne. And you'll be pleased to know that the wife has been weighing in on what features the next boat needs to have - so I told her it's getting bigger and bigger ......... ;)

13 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

I agree Wayne. And you'll be pleased to know that the wife has been weighing in on what features the next boat needs to have - so I told her it's getting bigger and bigger ......... ;)

Bigger is more work, more money, more maintenance but more importantly for wife and kids more comfortable and more enjoyment:D

10 hours ago, Luvit said:

Bigger is more work, more money, more maintenance but more importantly for wife and kids more comfortable and more enjoyment:D

Yeah I'm really torn at the moment (between a centre console or cuddy/half cabin) but have time to decide - need to look at some cuddy/half cabins in the flesh and get a feel for fishing room and ease of use/movement. If need be it doesn't have to be a boat for the next 20 years - could always change once the boys are teenagers.

Will have a chat to you about your experiences with your Scout at some stage to get a feel on what that 'style' of boat was like in chop, offshore, doing overnighters, etc.

1 hour ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Yeah I'm really torn at the moment (between a centre console or cuddy/half cabin) but have time to decide - need to look at some cuddy/half cabins in the flesh and get a feel for fishing room and ease of use/movement. If need be it doesn't have to be a boat for the next 20 years - could always change once the boys are teenagers.

Will have a chat to you about your experiences with your Scout at some stage to get a feel on what that 'style' of boat was like in chop, offshore, doing overnighters, etc.

Anytime, you have my number. 

Archived