Any recommendations for travel rods?

adri4n

Hi, I know I've been asking a lot of questions lately but I really value the advice I get here. I'm going back to Malaysia at the end of the year. Just wondering if anyone has a good recommendation for a travel rod? I've seen an interesting auction

/>http://www.oztion.com.au/vshops/item.aspx?itemid=2773463

It seems like a good deal, especially if you are travelling, anyone have any experience with these or anyother travel rods? Initially I was looking at getting a telescopic one but I think a 3 piece or a 6ft 2 piece would probably be good if coupled with a hard case. Happy to hear what anyone has to say..

Ugly Stick make a nice travel rod. Mine is a 3 pice 6'0\" 2-4Kg It comes in a plastic travel case. (not very tough case.

This rod is a bit stiffer than the main Ugly Stick I use and its a great little rod for $60.

Comes in handy when travelling around the state with work.

ugly004AFO.jpg

ugly002AFO.jpg

Pic's not to clear its about 75cm in the case or just the three pices are 65cm long

ugly001AFO.jpg

Alex has a Jarvis Walker telescopic he won at the Classic last year.

After I fixed it where he smacked it into a tree, it works great. Quite a respectable rod. Probably a similar length to Polyphonic's when closed up, not sure if it is 6 or 7' extended.

Originally came in a little plastic case with a reel and a bit of tackle. The reel was a bit dodgy so I picked up a Shimano XR2000 for about $20, works very well.

Yeah I've seen some of the jarvis walker telescopic ones, They have a few different models though, not sure which one it is that you are talking about. how would a telescopic rod compare to a 3 piece rod? would it be vastly inferior? I've read some comments where people don't seem to rate telescopic rods very highly and recommend the 3 piece rods instead...

adri4n wrote:

Yeah the plan is to go shopping when I'm back in malaysia, but to buy a travel rod when I'm there, so I'm kinda doing some research before I walk into the stores... B)

Sorry, I was preaching to the converted then :unsure: Maybe you could buy one on ebay from a seller there and then freak them out when you ask for \"pick up\" as the delivery method.:laugh:

My dad has a couple of fast actioned graphite travel rods from Shakespeare. They are Agility travel rods.

One is a 5 piece 6'6\" spin stick that is great for bass, squire, flathead, etc on plastics. The other one is a 3 piece baitcast rod that he uses for mulloway, barra, etc.

Both come in hard cases with a shoulder strap & sell for less than one hundred dollars.

Mate it could also be worth using your rids you have now but get some cases.

Tania Costello from Aussie Wraps will custom make (for a very goos price) a rod or reel case for any model. She just needs the specs.

Give her a buzz on 3341 4080 or aussie_wrapps@hotmail.com

She will even put personalised logo's on them :)

Angus

adri4n wrote:

Yeah, getting cases made for them would be a good idea as well I guess, I'll have a look into it and see how it works out. thanks for the tip, karma to you

Yeah well she does a good product. And although its another expense, its prob cheaper than than a new rod, and you get to use your preferred rod anyway.

Angus

Archived