Little Yabba

Ovington

I had plans on taking the boat up to Borumba for a few days but I decided to go wide early thursday then drive up to meet my mates in the arvo with my kayak instead.

My morning off the cape was fairly unproductive with a few good sounding but no real action other then some under size schoolies. I did see some longtail in the northern bay on the way home but didnt land any despite one hook up. I did catch a seahorse on a stickbait though which was a first for me (it was attached to s bit of weed I hooked). 

Snapchat-1798259039.thumb.jpg.9d2aee7a78b63ce0ba9ee43b65deec6c.jpg

Snapchat-716826390.thumb.jpg.b9f1f1b9a8840cc5d5b3a7ef6c113493.jpg

So I took off up to the camp grounds below the dam which have reopened but are still under construction. The first thing I noticed was strong flow and ditry water coming over the road about 1ft or so which wasnt what I had expected. I had a flick on dark after setting up for no interest then got stuck into the beers. Not so early the next morning I went for a drive and explore but all areas I had previously fished were flowing too fast to kayak so I returned to camp and started walking the banks. I spotted well over a dozen Toga ranging from 20cm to 80cm but couldn't get a bite despite going through all my lures. Darkness started to set in and the fish started biting but not the toga, i went 6 bass in 6 casts on the micro pompadour followed by a first for me, a Sooty grunter off the top too. I was pleased with a new pb and decided to stumble back to the fire for another round of drinking. It was a nice trip but I think I will take the boat next time to suss out the dam! 20180302_184150.thumb.jpg.05c479e86544e4f7d66b059dcd026135.jpg

Just now, ellicat said:

:lol: Horse whisperer !

Didn't know you could get sooties there. Lucky. :)

Haha Yea, just don't ask me to do it again... 

Yea apparently they were stocked in the dam for a short period about 14yrs ago. There was a bit of a fuss given its regular distribution and its potential effects on Mary river cod and other local species. I did release this one but maybe I should have kept it given its non- indigenous but couldn't bring myself to killing it

Those sootys have been illegally released into the Mary River system and are a real threat to the Mary River Cod.

They should be destroyed if you ever catch any more.

There has been no confirmation of them breeding yet as far as I know but going on the small size of that one, it looks like they may have bred now.

Just now, aussie123 said:

Those sootys have been illegally released into the Mary River system and are a real threat to the Mary River Cod.

They should be destroyed if you ever catch any more.

There has been no confirmation of them breeding yet as far as I know but going on the small size of that one, it looks like they may have bred now.

Arh there you go, I was misinformed. Looks like the next one will be on the BBQ. Yea I was thinking the same regarding breeding, although I am surprised given the chillier waters

First one that i have heard of in little yabba . They have been in the lower reaches of mary for a couple of years now.

Dont know if from MSG or just migration from up north.

The mary river alliance are very concerned about their impact on mary river cod.

I have referred post to elops for his info.

Cheers

Ray

1 hour ago, rayke1938 said:

First one that i have heard of in little yabba . They have been in the lower reaches of mary for a couple of years now.

Dont know if from MSG or just migration from up north.

The mary river alliance are very concerned about their impact on mary river cod.

I have referred post to elops for his info.

Cheers

Ray

Just spoke to Steve Poole about it and he said based on those electrofished it would seem they are breeding. Also quite prolific through the whole system now.

I want to go :) 

2 hours ago, Angus said:

Just spoke to Steve Poole about it and he said based on those electrofished it would seem they are breeding. Also quite prolific through the whole system now.

I want to go :) 

Yea right, there you go. I think they should put a few signs up around the place to educate those unaware. Makes me keen on a kayak session to try and make a dent now given that guy got let off. 

23 hours ago, Luke Landrunner said:

On a declared pest..... The more the better. 

Are they officially a declared pest? They have size and bag limits everywhere else. 

"28cm min, Combined limit of 10 in total for Sooty grunter and Khaki grunter species"

Don't get me wrong, if they are not endemic to the area I'd like to see them all caught and... eaten... Preferably with a light beer batter and aioli sauce :whistle:. Can we make that a law? Is it breakfast time yet?

Archived