Barwon Banks April Report For Drop Bear

Luvit

This trip was over a week ago, so I’ll see what I can remember. Luke and I picked a fine day to head to the Barwon Banks. It’s been a while since I’ve been back there and the object of this trip was to try more sounder settings and see if we could target Pearl Perch in the deeper water.
It was a cracking day and the forecast was to get better in the afternoon. I was keen to use the new jigging outfit again and just in case the fish were not interested in the jigs, I threw a Mac tuna for bait that James caught last outing. 
The morning was quite for both of us on the jigs with nothing of any note. Through-out the day we continued to use them spasmatic ally, but if we wanted to take some fish home bait was going to be the way to go. Once the mac tuna hit the bottom the rods started their little dance before we set the hooks and fun of sorting through smaller fish to fine the ones we wanted.

IMG_4769.thumb.jpg.6f11a802e32dcc8e7da1d1712769126b.jpg 
We did some exploring further north and found some weed in the deeper water. This was a little highlight of the day to me because the target species was caught. It was no monster but my PB for this species at 43cm.  

We put together a nice variety of fish and on 3 or more occasions we were sharked losing rigs and fish. This one would have been my PB tusk fish. It still astounds me how a small 5kg fish can pull so hard that a 70kg person has trouble getting a wind on the reel. This is where the sharks just take what they want.

5afa7532097a1_TuskHead.jpg.48636c59de73a6a39afd5dc308db05cd.jpg

Another highlight was enjoying the company of a friendly Dolphin that stuck around for some tuna and a pat from Luke.

Dolphin.jpg.a3c30bafe64697164db584c8d12b5223.jpg

When were drifting there were some bigger creatures than the  dolphins keeping their distance, so when I got back I looked up false whales. What I found was a whale that comes into Moreton bay called a Melon headed whale. This is what they looked like to me and my wife said she saw one when we were out on Anzac day.

arto.gif.1bb7b10dd1bb22bcd2e07ac92b0d9ed0.gif

The conditions were so good we headed out to a mark that said ‘Big Bommie’ in 120m of water. I don’t where I got it from but, today was the day we were going to hit it. Having a Dolphin and her calf join us momentarily as we got on plane was cool to see.  
Once we arrived I scanned the waypoint and surrounds and found nothing. Bit of a waste of time and deleted the waypoint. We hammered back in and this is where the things didn’t go so well.

5afa75245804e_Calmday.jpg.2c7b1ea4581aaa46d226b3a332692d57.jpg

As described in another post I saw a fishing trawller anchored up and gave it a wide birth around the front of it, close to 200m I would have estimated. Once past it we continued back to our heading. It was close to a change of tide with little wind and @aussie123 pointed out that 30 tonne vessels need a lot of anchor rope out to hold. Not knowing this and taking into account the conditions the boat was nearly 90 degrees to where the anchor was. I didn’t see the floating anchor rope till I was about to cross it and quickly placed the motor into to neutral. The leg caught the rope and we came to slow stop. We lifted the motor and all seems Ok and we continued on our way.
The next spot I turned the side scan on and there was no reading. We checked the transducer and the rope had ripped it from its mounting and it was flapping in the water. A costly exercise that annoyed me no end when I purposely gave what I thought was enough room to pass safely and to not inconvenience the trawller or anyone else.

IMG_4768.thumb.jpg.0ad828ef4e6689b35eae75b97889aaab.jpg

Oh well that’s fishing, and we headed for home watching the beautiful sunset behind the glass house mountains.

Looking forward to more winter reef fishing trips.

Apologies @Luvit and @Drop Bear for no report, I have been off grid until now.....

As Wayne has stated the conditions were perfect but the fish didn't come on the chew until three hours into the day. The taxation department made its presence felt and there were a couple of big fish that took us straight into the reef.

Flipper and later on his girlfriend and love child were a highlight of the day and after some hard work a decent feed of fish came home with us. 

Thanks for another great day @Luvit, and maybe next time I'll do up a report........:frantics:

3 hours ago, tugger said:

I wondered what happened to the report. tastey tuskies save the day and those conditions look awesome

Top table fish for my taste buds and the Hussar. I haven't eaten the Rosy snapper yet.

Archived