Formosa 2015 Sea Rod Cuddy Cab

Poddymullet

Hi all,

You might have seen my recent post about my new boat and looking for something more robust on the bay that handles chop and will get me close offshore reef fishing with confidence. 

Keen to hear any thoughts on the Formosa Sea Rod 520 Cuddy Cab.  

Are they as good as people say? Or should I look at Quintrex Ocean / Sea Spirit or possibly Surtees?

I am a keen fisherman and want to fish in any weather but need something sub 5.5m. 

@Poddymullet  I can vouch for Surtees mate, very well built,  Well priced,  10yr Hull warranty, NZ Built and they can customize ,

I went for a 575 Profisher with a 115hp Yamaha and a few bells & whistles .   Definitely go have a look at the 575 Workmates ,   speak with Bill Hull @ Northside Marine,  you wont be disappointed. 

Let me know if you want any more info .

Cheers

Josh

1 hour ago, Poddymullet said:

Thanks @Cobiaaddict I was looking at them as well but think they are out of my 40-50k price bracket. The 575 Profisher is a beast though. Not a fan of Formosa?

I checked them out mate and they are nice boat.  Test drove a 580 Formosa centre console and it was no where as soft as the Surtees .  Punching in to Moreton bay chop it was still like a typical tinnie and banged and pounded around. It was fantastic in a following sea and didnt broach or carry on. The SURTEES is a true VEE hull with a 21degree dead rise and water ballast for at rest and can be used when driving by using the shut off valve.  Id price one up in comparison with the formosa mate. There was only a few thousand difference when i did mine in March 2017

I'm no expert and was just guided by what I read online. Similar to what @Cobiaaddict said, I've heard the Formosa's can be a bit beamy and bounce around a bit. I'd look at the hull thicknesses as this will go a fair way (hull design still comes into it - this is the part I don't know much about) to determining how it punches through the chop and rides. I found a second hand Fisher centre console with from memory 5mm bottom and transom and 4mm sides and a 180L fuel tank. But mine is a 2003 model so obviously not brand new.

Do a search on Boatsales and Gumtree (possibly other sites - Boatpoint?) and see what is out there for your dollar. Makes like Australian Master Marine (AMM), Fisher, Riptide, Joshua, Surtees,

etc are the ideal but it comes down to money (and/or how new you want it to be).

Also factor in things like the size of the fuel tank and whether it has a fully sealed deck or not.

And where possible I'd be trying to take a test ride (in NOT perfect conditions ...) so you can get a feel for how it rides. Hope this helps - keep us all in the loop with your progress, it's always exciting following along as people purchase boats 🙂 

Thanks guys for the advice. I appreciate it so much. The Surtees are solid but going over 50 is going to be hard....what a first world dilemma:-) 

Will keep everyone posted. Although if I can’t get something in my budget that will help with cutting through chop as in smooth I wonder if I should persevere and look at some trim tabs at least to help. 

@Doyley absolutely donuts from Gold Coast Boating Centre. Last email going to them today before I take my review online. It's a pity as too many people just do that first but I wanted to give these guys the opportunity first then I could post a review that was more measured. Definitely looks like the old owners grew the brand but the new ones have a different approach. 2 weeks since my complaint...not one call back. 

For anyone else reading this post if you are in the Brisbane area based on my experience over the last 12 months, Northside Marine has been the best across the board. Nothing pushy about them at all and the reviews show. Have been to Brisbane Yamaha as it's the closest to me but never got a great feeling. Having said that I keep looking at Quintrex and thinking it's the best option for the bay for soft ride into the chop...

Will keep you guys posted...

On 07/06/2018 at 7:24 AM, Poddymullet said:

@Doyley absolutely donuts from Gold Coast Boating Centre. Last email going to them today before I take my review online. It's a pity as too many people just do that first but I wanted to give these guys the opportunity first then I could post a review that was more measured. Definitely looks like the old owners grew the brand but the new ones have a different approach. 2 weeks since my complaint...not one call back. 

For anyone else reading this post if you are in the Brisbane area based on my experience over the last 12 months, Northside Marine has been the best across the board. Nothing pushy about them at all and the reviews show. Have been to Brisbane Yamaha as it's the closest to me but never got a great feeling. Having said that I keep looking at Quintrex and thinking it's the best option for the bay for soft ride into the chop...

Will keep you guys posted...

Go have a chat with Motorsport Marine. They are just behind Brisbane Yamaha at Burpengarry.

I am very happy with my Stessco and their service has been ok not lavish but not bad. They answer all my calls and questions and are quite friendly. I broke a spring on my trailer a month ago and they fixed it and gave me a new wheel and new wheel arch and new break cable on warranty no questions asked. 

On 06/06/2018 at 3:20 PM, Cobiaaddict said:

@Poddymullet  I can vouch for Surtees mate, very well built,  Well priced,  10yr Hull warranty, NZ Built and they can customize ,

I went for a 575 Profisher with a 115hp Yamaha and a few bells & whistles .   Definitely go have a look at the 575 Workmates ,   speak with Bill Hull @ Northside Marine,  you wont be disappointed. 

Let me know if you want any more info .

Cheers

Josh

Hey Josh - spoke to Northside Marine today...God Damn! Was looking at the Surtees 495 Workmate  as it would fit the budget (I know it is smaller but what a boat) and now they have me looking at the new 540 Workmate about to hit the market...bloody hell what is a man meant to do...I will lose more than two gonads - but hey already have 🤣

39 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

Hey Josh - spoke to Northside Marine today...God Damn! Was looking at the Surtees 495 Workmate  as it would fit the budget (I know it is smaller but what a boat) and now they have me looking at the new 540 Workmate about to hit the market...bloody hell what is a man meant to do...I will lose more than two gonads - but hey already have 🤣

Nice boats hey!!!!!.  Wait till you go for a ride in one ,  you wont be disappointed.  

Nothing wrong with the 540 Work mate, They used to  build a 5.5m Work Mate  wich is now marketed as the 575 with a little bit more length and they are the go-to size boat in NZ  Where they fish out of Whakatane on the North Island for snapper & kings.

Just for comparison,  I fished a ledge near Bulwer last Saturday  night with another boat which was about 6m long ,.  about 7pm we where hit with about 20knots WSW , both of us decided to head back to Scarborough boat harbor as it was wild in that part of the bay with wind again tide. Now the other boat left a few minutes before I did as we had one last drift. 

We sat on about 34-36km per hour  and I had passed him comfortably by the end of the pearl channel and was on the trailer at the ramp by the time he parked up on the pontoon.  After speaking with the boys on board  they  said they where getting bashed around , They could not believe how quick we got back.   

Mate you are talking my language ... I couldn't get close to the ledge the first time I tried in outgoing v WSW and I nearly **** my pants the way those waves started to standup...

I might just have to bite the bullet and put something down on the 540...you wouldn't do the 495 in our bay? 

Thanks for the post by the way! 

14 minutes ago, Poddymullet said:

Mate you are talking my language ... I couldn't get close to the ledge the first time I tried in outgoing v WSW and I nearly **** my pants the way those waves started to standup...

I might just have to bite the bullet and put something down on the 540...you wouldn't do the 495 in our bay? 

Thanks for the post by the way! 

Moreton Bay is a very unpredictable place. I have spent a lot , I mean a lot hours fishing in horrible conditions years ago out of boats like Stacers and Quintrex's boat in the 475-530 ranges, Never again.

The 495 is capable of Moreton bay work. but fishing space may be a problem for you,  the NZ boys use them  over there any the y catch marlin, XOS kings and snapper .

The 540 would be better suited in my opinion,  You can fish 3 adults easily,  id look at putting the new Lightweight Yamaha 90hp 4stroke on one.

I use my water ballast in the keel a lot .  it helps punching into it and in following sea's in lots of different conditions.

Few things to look at when you water test. .

1. They are a wet ride boat ( Centre Console).  Mainly side on conditions as they are not real high in the free board.

2. They can be a little nosey in a big following sea if you are not trimmed up enough and plow in to the back of a large Moreton Bay chop.  this is due the long stem and the super fine entry  in the bow .

Cheers

Thanks mate ... I'm soft so will be going for the Cabin instead of the CC 🙂 unless someone tells me there is no difference...

The keel water ballast looks great and can see how that would work for us in the bay. 

I want the 540 but it's almost 12k more...was thinking of trying something like this 2nd hander for a couple of years 

Just can't see the boss really agreeing to fork out more

Space is not great but it would be me, or my two young one 7 and 10, or another mate. 

3 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Thanks mate ... I'm soft so will be going for the Cabin instead of the CC 🙂 unless someone tells me there is no difference...

The keel water ballast looks great and can see how that would work for us in the bay. 

I want the 540 but it's almost 12k more...was thinking of trying something like this 2nd hander for a couple of years 

Just can't see the boss really agreeing to fork out more

Space is not great but it would be me, or my two young one 7 and 10, or another mate. 

Looks a good little boat mate. 

4 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I have really enjoyed reading this thread thanks everyone. I'm learning a lot. 

Glad it helps @Drop Bear so hard to pick the right boat 😕

I am leaning towards the Surtees 485 now. It’s got amazing reviews...and ticks most of my boxes although it is a tad small. What have you got?

On 09/06/2018 at 4:02 PM, Poddymullet said:

Glad it helps @Drop Bear so hard to pick the right boat 😕

I am leaning towards the Surtees 485 now. It’s got amazing reviews...and ticks most of my boxes although it is a tad small. What have you got?

I have a stessco 5 m Tornado with 70 4 stroke suzuki tiller steer. Bear bones boat. It does everything I want it to. I really like it.

Have taken it outside a few times now. Through South Passage bar twice and Currumbin once and have caught some great fish and crabs. 

It is wet in a side wind but I have had it in 25-30 knots of wind and felt safe and comfortable just a bit wet. I drop down the speed when it gets bumpy and can go anywhere. The prop has been damaged on some logs and rocks so it has lost a little speed but still gets along nicely. My foot is buggered for a few more weeks but will get amongst it again very soon. 

Thanks for sharing 50 knots! Holy Sheet ... was it in the bay? I can't imagine what the conditions were like in 50...

Haven't attempted SPB yet but keen to get into blue water...as much as I can. 

I like the 495 workmate from Surtees but just thinking it's going to be a bit small when it get's lumpy north of Moreton and coming back. The 60l also isn't much when it will take 40 mins from Scarbs too...can take a tote but then  think just upgrade to something bigger with more fuel and bit more space. 

So at this stage I am just weighing up the 485 vs going into debt for the new 545 Workmate 

Feel a tad sad cause I was pretty keen on the Formosa after reading so many reports...be great to hear from other owners

8 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

I have a stessco 5 m Tornado with 70 4 stroke suzuki tiller steer. Bear bones boat. It does everything I want it to. I really like it.

Have taken it outside a few times now. Through South Passage bar twice and Currumbin once and have caught some great fish and crabs. 

It is wet in a side wind but I have had it in 50 knots of wind and felt safe and comfortable just a bit wet. I drop down the speed when it gets bumpy and can go anywhere. The prop has been damaged on some logs and rocks so it has lost a little speed but still gets along nicely. My foot is buggered for a few more weeks but will get amongst it again very soon. 

Far out @Drop Bear  what where you doing out in 50knots mate. Thats some big kahunas right there. Ive seen boats capsize in beam seas in those conditions  when I did work experience with DPI back in about 1999. 

7 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Thanks for sharing 50 knots! Holy Sheet ... was it in the bay? I can't imagine what the conditions were like in 50...

I like the 495 workmate from Surtees but just thinking it's going to be a bit small when it get's lumpy north of Moreton and coming back. The 60l also isn't much when it will take 40 mins from Scarbs too...can take a tote but then  think just upgrade to something bigger with more fuel and bit more space. 

So at this stage I am just weighing up the 485 vs going into debt for the new 545 Workmate 

Feel a tad sad cause I was pretty keen on the Formosa after reading so many reports...be great to hear from other owners

sorry typo.. I amended it. 

22 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Ill looking at off loading my Centre Console in the coming months mate, Looking at going to maybe a Surtees 610 or 650 Hard Top  

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Nice! Why the change of heart?

No real change of heart mate I love the 575 CC, But  I always wanted a larger boat , Dream Boat is a Edencraft 233 Formula with Twin 250hp's but that's a big $$$$ investment mate that I'm not quite ready for financially . Ill Price up the 610/650 HT from Surtees and do some sums and see how it looks financially and what kind of dollars ill get for mine.  At this stage its only a new decision to offload , but id like to be prepared so I have new boat come snapper season next year 🤤

49 minutes ago, Cobiaaddict said:

No real change of heart mate I love the 575 CC, But  I always wanted a larger boat , Dream Boat is a Edencraft 233 Formula with Twin 250hp's but that's a big $$$$ investment mate that I'm not quite ready for financially . Ill Price up the 610/650 HT from Surtees and do some sums and see how it looks financially and what kind of dollars ill get for mine.  At this stage its only a new decision to offload , but id like to be prepared so I have new boat come snapper season next year 🤤

😵🤪🤯 Snapper will do that to you ... 

Am I being silly thinking that either a Surtees / Stabicraft / Bar Crusher in the sub 5m category is ever going to give me the comfort inshore / offshore around Moreton Bay? 

1 hour ago, Poddymullet said:

😵🤪🤯 Snapper will do that to you ... 

Am I being silly thinking that either a Surtees / Stabicraft / Bar Crusher in the sub 5m category is ever going to give me the comfort inshore / offshore around Moreton Bay? 

The 485 will be a lot better than what your in at this point mate. But you will still be limited in the way of where you can go and fishing room . 

Anything under 16ft leaves you with certain restrictions when playing off Moreton or in the Bay.    Id organize a water test with the 495-540 & possibly a 575 in some average conditions  and make some assumption from your with them experience,  keeping in mind the 540-575 will probably ride the same,  but you will have a little bit of difference with the 495. 

Personally I went the 575 CC because it gave me plenty of fishing room and fitted my budget.

I'm glad I went to the Surtees,  it was 17K more than I had intended on spending.  But after fishing the bay last year in 10-15knot forecasts  with the occasional trip in 20+ knots when I really should had been at home ,  I never get out of thing thinking I have been bashed around, yeah the thing has its moment if your not driving to the condition's

I noticed your at Northlakes,  Mate I'm at Deception Bay & Always doing quick trips to burn some fuel or try for a snapper , Id be happy to take you out for a quick water test in mine just so you get the feel of how the hull's work.

That might be a bad idea , then you might want a 575 or 610 😋😉 and really blow that budget :

Link below to my Surteess.

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/topic/48632-new-rig/?tab=comments#comment-1012261

31 minutes ago, Cobiaaddict said:

The 485 will be a lot better than what your in at this point mate. But you will still be limited in the way of where you can go and fishing room . 

Anything under 16ft leaves you with certain restrictions when playing off Moreton or in the Bay.    Id organize a water test with the 495-540 & possibly a 575 in some average conditions  and make some assumption from your with them experience,  keeping in mind the 540-575 will probably ride the same,  but you will have a little bit of difference with the 495. 

Personally I went the 575 CC because it gave me plenty of fishing room and fitted my budget.

I'm glad I went to the Surtees,  it was 17K more than I had intended on spending.  But after fishing the bay last year in 10-15knot forecasts  with the occasional trip in 20+ knots when I really should had been at home ,  I never get out of thing thinking I have been bashed around, yeah the thing has its moment if your not driving to the condition's

I noticed your at Northlakes,  Mate I'm at Deception Bay & Always doing quick trips to burn some fuel or try for a snapper , Id be happy to take you out for a quick water test in mine just so you get the feel of how the hull's work.

That might be a bad idea , then you might want a 575 or 610 😋😉 and really blow that budget :

Link below to my Surteess.

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/forum/topic/48632-new-rig/?tab=comments#comment-1012261

Seriously? That would be awesome...where do you launch from normally? Scarborough? 

Weekends normally best ... can make anytime that works. Want me to pm my mobile?  

I think I have the boats narrowed down to either Surtees v Stabi ... good news is that Northside can help me with both 😛

And so I thought I had things narrowed down till the dealer said ... 'what about if I could get you into glass for under 50k and it's a Signature?'

All those dodgy VHS fishing videos I grew up watching always had a Haines ... got be honest fellas it's attractive but do I want the hassle of glass. I am pretty tidy but can be lazy 😞 But my back is shot so ride comfort is pretty high on the list 

On 11/06/2018 at 5:37 PM, Poddymullet said:

And so I thought I had things narrowed down till the dealer said ... 'what about if I could get you into glass for under 50k and it's a Signature?'

All those dodgy VHS fishing videos I grew up watching always had a Haines ... got be honest fellas it's attractive but do I want the hassle of glass. I am pretty tidy but can be lazy 😞 But my back is shot so ride comfort is pretty high on the list 

not an easy question to answer for someone else mate. Costs more in fuel, heavier to tow, harder to launch but better ride. I don't know about Haines boats so cant comment on  that.  Good luck. At the end of the day no matter what you get it is always a compromise. 

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 5:37 PM, Poddymullet said:

That's a tough one , Glass boats have there positives but you lack customization options when building.  Then you have concrete ramps to attend with and the other things that @Drop Bear mentioned .  The rides can be very similar between a Haines Signature & say a well built plate boat (Noble Super VEE, Surtees, Stabi-craft , Origin, Fisher The list goes on. .  , Its only the sound that the hull makes when cutting through the chop that differs,   Don't count them out completely if you have always wanted one , It just maybe the boat for you.  

1 hour ago, Cobiaaddict said:

That's a tough one , Glass boats have there positives but you lack customization options when building.  Then you have concrete ramps to attend with and the other things that @Drop Bear mentioned .  The rides can be very similar between a Haines Signature & say a well built plate boat (Noble Super VEE, Surtees, Stabi-craft , Origin, Fisher The list goes on. .  , Its only the sound that the hull makes when cutting through the chop that differs,   Don't count them out completely if you have always wanted one , It just maybe the boat for you.  

Like everything ... it's a compromise right 🙂 I don't know why but the Stabicraft 1550 Pro Fisher keeps pulling me back. I know its sub 5m but it looks solid and can fish anywhere even offshore! Wish someone the forum had one. I know they look weird but bloody hell they are like a tank and ride well (according to all the reports cough cough)

Can't go wrong with glass mate. Your knees will love you. After owning my first glass (6th year I've had her now) boat I'd never go back to a tinny unless it had some serious weight to it like the Riptides etc... I only got a 5.5 but she'll go anywhere a 7mtr will and I've already proven that. 🙂

Archived