Foggy Start To Snappy Snapper

tugger

The bay was like pea soup with a thick blanket of fog as we left the ramp after reaching the rainbow channel it cleared and it was a good run to the bar so calm on the bay it was quite eerie. After we crossed the bar we headed to the livie grounds and the bar dissapeared as the fog moved over it but we stayed ahead of it the rest of the  morning we ran over to the rock after getting only 4 yakkas.

We started drifting 1st up and both 1st drops were smashed and line peeled off the reels with both Alan and i having trouble getting the bail arms over on the spinning reels my fish felt big with wicked head shakes eached time it stopped peeling line. Alan had a bigger fish on and could not turn its head it peeled line only stopping to shake its head then tear off again but it found a sharp edge on the reef. My fish gave its best to not leave the bottom but i finally got a few winds on the reel eventually gaining line and closing the distance back to the boat the fish came in to view and the colour red was called Alan did the net work and we put a good snapper in the boat.

20180629_075044.thumb.jpg.82ab01e10ed7040a4f0354da630c55ee.jpg

We kept the drifts going and i hooked another good fish putting another snapper in the box around the 60cm mark things looked good

20180629_104916.thumb.jpg.de7a4ce110dc16c0525cfdd5dd016fb9.jpg

The snapper slowed after a couple more were landed so the decision to anchor and berley up brought on some more fish we were also able to drop some livies down. The current was moving well past the rock and this had the fish still in the mood.

20180629_104927.thumb.jpg.bd664b9f5ddd815e8e10aa1bbfaf251d.jpg

The yakkas got monstered and these brutes were having none of seeing the surface they soon reefed us every time. The snapper were qaulity with 2 fish around 45cm another 3 snapper around 50cm 1 just under 60cm and the 72cm model. The current stopped and so did the fish so we headed home to fillet some fish and drink some beer the run home was as flat as the run out topping off a perfect day out.

20180629_155112.thumb.jpg.9362ff682ea719a6d032461240ea8542.jpg

Still 4 weeks away. The trailer axles will be custom made size. It’s up on blocks so the original axle could be sent to the factory to match it. 

Will all be good when l get it back. Hurt my back yesterday so couldn’t get out this weekend anyway. 

The more l’m off the water the more l think about what l can do to improve the boat. 

18 minutes ago, Luvit said:

Still 4 weeks away. The trailer axles will be custom made size. It’s up on blocks so the original axle could be sent to the factory to match it. 

Will all be good when l get it back. Hurt my back yesterday so couldn’t get out this weekend anyway. 

The more l’m off the water the more l think about what l can do to improve the boat. 

I got a new trailer this year the old 1 was pretty tired good to know you have a good trailer again

On 29/06/2018 at 8:40 PM, kmcrosby78 said:

BTW @tugger - nice work tricking the northsiders into thinking you caught your snaps in Tasmania ......... :whistle:

Doh! Here I was just thinking that's a big trip ... 🙂

Great report ... I am with @Luvit the conditions sounded perfect and the haul just as impressive! 

I was in Wollongong for work and kept looking at the ocean thinking only Snapper the conditions were that good.

Can't wait to get the boat back and get out ... first weekend in a long while with no fishing...bloody depressing

On 01/07/2018 at 5:43 AM, Drop Bear said:

Great trip there tugger. I hope to do one later this month. If conditions are like that it will be awesome. 

With the westerlies the rock gets so calm great place for hunting snapper

20 hours ago, Poddymullet said:

Doh! Here I was just thinking that's a big trip ... 🙂

Great report ... I am with @Luvit the conditions sounded perfect and the haul just as impressive! 

I was in Wollongong for work and kept looking at the ocean thinking only Snapper the conditions were that good.

Can't wait to get the boat back and get out ... first weekend in a long while with no fishing...bloody depressing

You need your fishing fix hope you get out soon I can go to work now and survive another week

Archived