Dawson River Weir

Feral

There's no category for Rivers or Weirs so in here is close enough!

I have spent the last couple of days in Theodore, doing some work. Early morning and evenings I have been trying to catch some of the Toga you can occasionally see cruising past, or sunning themselves in the weeds.

They have had recent rain so everything is really green (last time I was there, not a blade of grass to be seen). The river has risen to the point where the weir is full, but still an inch or so short of overflowing.

This means it is really hard fishing as there is about 5m of sunken grass all along the banks you have to fish over, meaning about the only usable lures are spinner baits. Any other sort of lure does not come back, you lose it in the grass.

I have not caught anything as yet, as I broke the top runner of my extendable rod, trying to hook a minnow lure back out of the long grass!

photo's to follow

This is the actual weir wall, and the view upstream

weir2.jpg

weir1.jpg

This is the view from my cabin, if they pruned a few of the trees I could cast from the verandah!

viewfromcabin2.jpg

This is the grass all along the river

grass1.jpg

you have to cast and retrieve over this

grass2.jpg

View of the wider stretch of the river behind the cabins

river1.jpg

river2.jpg

They have a boat ramp of sorts, in cattle creek, about 30m from the main river.

boatramplongview.jpg

boatrampcloseup.jpg

Going to load up a couple of good quality rods for my return visit next week.

As it is a council job, they are only working 9 hours a day, (as against dawn to dark I normally get on construction jobs!) which means I get a couple of hours in the morning and evening to go fishing, dawn and dusk sessions every day - 20 foot from the cabin. Life's tough I tell ya!

Feral wrote:

There's no category for Rivers or Weirs so in here is close enough!

I have spent the last couple of days in Theodore, doing some work. Early morning and evenings I have been trying to catch some of the Toga you can occasionally see cruising past, or sunning themselves in the weeds.

They have had recent rain so everything is really green (last time I was there, not a blade of grass to be seen). The river has risen to the point where the weir is full, but still an inch or so short of overflowing.

This means it is really hard fishing as there is about 5m of sunken grass all along the banks you have to fish over, meaning about the only usable lures are spinner baits. Any other sort of lure does not come back, you lose it in the grass.

I have not caught anything as yet, as I broke the top runner of my extendable rod, trying to hook a minnow lure back out of the long grass!

photo's to follow

Beautiful place feral. where's this? might wanna hit it when i'm back in bris! hehe. i've got just the right lures for that place!

Well another week fishing in Theodore for no catch!

Got on to one of the local property owners, who owns a stretch of the river and fishing along his section.

Put Opera traps in the canals, got that many yabbies I was flat out lifting the traps out, but no fish.

As I was leaving today, the word came the river was flooding upstream, and they expected it to start flowing tomorrow, meaning the fishing should be on by monday! Just my luck! I've finished out there!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived