help making a fish smoker.

buzzid

hey guys,

i would like to make a fish smoker. has anyone ever made their own smoker, if so how? i would like it to be big enough to put a turkey in(mmmm! smoked wife). or maybe there is a product on the market that won't cost me the shirt off my back. any ideas would be muchly appreciated. thanks guys.

buzz

ok, what about this, will it work. i use a metal garbage bin with lid, fix a steel grill up high-ish and put an element of a electric cooktop(one with the coil) down low and put a metal dish of some sort on it with the woodchips in it. would this create enough heat?

buzz

big cardboard box

electric hot plate

2 wooden dowels

wire rack

wood chips

old fry pan

aluminum pie pan

2 meat thermometers (prefer digital)

set the box on the ground with the flaps on the bottom closed

near the top poked holes big enough for the dowels to go across the box to put the wire rack on

put the electric hot plate on the bottom of the box put fry pan on hot plate and wood chips in fry pan

poke holes in pie tin and cover wood chips

turn hot plate on

poke one thermometer threw box half way to check temp inside box.

when temp in box gets 160 put fish on wire racks

use the other thermometer in the fish and leave there

check wood chips when smoke starts to dissipate and replace wood chips

for 10lbs of fish it is close to 6 times to add wood chips

fish is done when thermometer in fish reads 160 degrees

A mate used to make awesome smokers and bbq's from 50L kegs cut in half lengthways.

Hinged the lid, added a handle to the front, welded on some stumpy legs to stop it rolling and put some mesh in the bottom 1/4 to hold the briquettes, wood chips, coals or whatever you are using to cook/smoke with.

Just dont ask him where he got the kegs from......

bootyinblue wrote:

A mate used to make awesome smokers and bbq's from 50L kegs cut in half lengthways.

Hinged the lid, added a handle to the front, welded on some stumpy legs to stop it rolling and put some mesh in the bottom 1/4 to hold the briquettes, wood chips, coals or whatever you are using to cook/smoke with.

Just dont ask him where he got the kegs from......

Thats what i'd be doing;)

Archived