Uv Light & Leaders

snafu

I read an article on uv light some time back and according to some marine biologists, most species of fish do have excellent uv vision. In other words, they see part of the light spectrum that we don't.

Human light receptors are quite rudimentary compared to some other critters, we don't have good night vision like cats for instance and we are definitely primitive compared to fish. 

So, are we unknowingly scaring the bejeebers out of some fish by using line that actually fluoresces?

Yes we are, especially those species that are easily spooked. We don't know if our leaders actually fluoresce because we cannot see that wave length of light without using something to detect it.

I bought myself a small uv torch to check my lines and also soft plastics. Some of the mono lit up like a neon sign and likewise with some sp's.

Just a bit of food for thought fellow fishos - if your catch rate is down after spooling with a new line or leader, think uv light as maybe the problem.

Jeff

Putting forward a response for no other reason then this, over the last few years, because of my failing eyesight,  I have switched to using bright green or bright pink 3kg mono line on all my reels, leader and all, regardless of whether I am bait fishing or lure fishing, simply so I can see the line better to tie my knots,  I have not seen any decline whatsoever in my catch rates, also my go to lure for flathead is a well used Manns 5+ in pink fluro with black scale markings strung on a bright pink mono leader, so I personally do not  put much creedence in the marine scientists claims on this one, if you believe everything that is written about what you do and don't need to go fishing, you would just stay at home and drink piss all day  😎

3 hours ago, MSB said:

Putting forward a response for no other reason then this, over the last few years, because of my failing eyesight,  I have switched to using bright green or bright pink 3kg mono line on all my reels, leader and all, regardless of whether I am bait fishing or lure fishing, simply so I can see the line better to tie my knots,  I have not seen any decline whatsoever in my catch rates, also my go to lure for flathead is a well used Manns 5+ in pink fluro with black scale markings strung on a bright pink mono leader, so I personally do not  put much creedence in the marine scientists claims on this one, if you believe everything that is written about what you do and don't need to go fishing, you would just stay at home and drink piss all day  😎

That's interesting, MSB, but just because a line or a lure is a bright green or bright pink does not necessarily mean that it fluoresces. I have numerous barra lures that are the colours that you mention and none of them fluoresce. The term fluro in describing colours of line or lures is more for marketing and has no bearing whatsoever on specific wave lengths of light.

For me, I do find the results of scientific research very beneficial to the way I fish and it's not a matter of believing everything that is written, but having an open mind to new innovations and theories. Our past-time has gone ahead in leaps & bounds during the past couple of decades mainly due to scientific & technological advances and most people who go fishing have enthusiastically embraced these advances.

Jeff  

That's good Jeff and important that you go with what you believe in, you should continue to do what works for you as all successful fisherman do, don't assume however my mind is closed to scientific and technological advance in fishing , some have been excellent, some have just been gimmicks to get fishos to part with their hard earned , just because I don't get the kick out of a scientific approach to my fishing endeavours like you do,  does not mean I have not embraced some advances in fishing , I try different stuff regularly, however I find in most instances I go back to what works for me, the most important thing is to have a line in the water,  because we all enjoy it. 

I hope you catch your share Jeff, and thats me on this post

Ron 

6 hours ago, ellicat said:

Food for thought.

Not sure if it would necessarily be detrimental though, considering the use of glow in the dark plastics and glow beads etc.

Something else to consider if you'r not catching though.

That depends on what you are targeting. Sure, some fish will definitely be attracted to sp's and beads that glow and there have been times when my catch rate has improved by using them, but only on certain species. Generally, you can dangle anything in front of a flathead and it will take a swipe at it, but the same can't be said for bream.

There is also a shape difference between a small bead or a soft plastic that glows and a couple of metres (or more) of glowing line that may spook any fish.

Jeff

7 minutes ago, MSB said:

That's good Jeff and important that you go with what you believe in, you should continue to do what works for you as all successful fisherman do, don't assume however my mind is closed to scientific and technological advance in fishing , some have been excellent, some have just been gimmicks to get fishos to part with their hard earned , just because I don't get the kick out of a scientific approach to my fishing endeavours like you do,  does not mean I have not embraced some advances in fishing , I try different stuff regularly, however I find in most instances I go back to what works for me, the most important thing is to have a line in the water,  because we all enjoy it. 

Ron 

Ron, my post was not meant to suggest that you don't have an open mind to scientific & technological advances in fishing and I'm sorry you read it that way. It was only to point out that I do have an open mind to theories based on scientific research even with my 65 years of fishing experience. 

It has nothing to do with "getting a kick out of it", but more to considering if something new  has merits and whether it will improve catch rates in high pressure fishing environs.

Jeff

On 23/02/2019 at 2:42 PM, snafu said:

That depends on what you are targeting. Sure, some fish will definitely be attracted to sp's and beads that glow and there have been times when my catch rate has improved by using them, but only on certain species. Generally, you can dangle anything in front of a flathead and it will take a swipe at it, but the same can't be said for bream.

There is also a shape difference between a small bead or a soft plastic that glows and a couple of metres (or more) of glowing line that may spook any fish.

Jeff

Yep I found it interesting. Thanks for posting. There would be some situations where it would make the line more visible. 

Thinking of a situation where you are trawling or casting top water lures on a bright sunny day in clear water. If it lights up with a back-light it might put things off. 

On 23/02/2019 at 2:35 PM, MSB said:

Ron 

I think I will have to go to bright green line now... I can't see the light thin stuff any more. 

Archived