Your Favourite Fishing Story

AUS-BNE-FISHO

23 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi tugger

That is awesome! 🙂 It must've been great fun watching and helping out. He must've loved seeing the Marlin boated - that is a monster. 

Cheers Hamish

We thought it was a marlin as it didn't fold out its sail till boatside it was a cracker of a sailfish since then he has caught plenty of marlin but he is a lot bigger and older now.

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey tugger

OK, it must've been a surprise. Do sails normally fight like that?

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yes sailfish are 1 of the fastest fish often leaping just like other billfish species , we had it jumping on one side of the Boat then seconds later jumping on the other side. Hope to chase a some myself again in a few weeks down the gold coast there is plenty of black marlin down there this season.

Hi kmcrosby78

That is a massive shovel, mine PB is only about 70cm (it busted off at the boat so I'm not sure if you could call it 'landed' 😜). They do go great don't they, it's a pity your scar has worn off.

That is very funny also, she must've been surprised to see that. The next one I catch I will have to keep and try to cook up 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

13 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi tugger

Yes, I have read/watched (TV) that they are very fast, like most billfish.

Good luck on the marlin and other billfish, do you keep or release them (often)?

Cheers Hamish

The odd small black marlin we keep if it can fit in the esky the big fellas we release last year I got my PB at 150kg

Hi benno573

That is awesome, especially the last one. 🙂 

The amberjack must've been very fun, especially considering that you pulled up your mates 😜 The only thing I have over my fishing mate is that I beat him in all of our beach trips, me tallying up with more fish than him. 🙂 I have heard NNW is bad for fishing, but it must've been great getting that nice jewie too. It would've tasted great as well. 

That story from Wello Point is great too, I have always wanted to explore it with my dad on our kayak. You're very lucky those guys found you also, it may have been a bit of trouble otherwise. I would've loved getting towed back in in a kayak. 🙂 16Kg is massive as well, it would've been great finally seeing it.

Cheers Hamish

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking of shovelnose ....

I've just gotten back into fishing, bought myself a small boat for Moreton Bay and surprise, surprise, my youngest son suddenly wants to go fishing with Dad.  Now Alec is a budding Marine Biologist, and if there is one (or two) things in the world he loves, its sharks and rays.  So he's been pestering me to take him shark fishing.  So I put together a 25kg rig and we head off for a couple of sessions on Moreton Bay and Logan river.  Only mixed success, a couple of whalers around the 1 metre mark.

So last week I take him to secret spot chasing snapper and sweetlip - light rods and 10lb line.  And of course he catches this!

290320.jpg