Big storm this afternoon and tonight.

Ed.

Well this afternoon the sky opened up and we had the biggest storm I have seen here since we have lived here in Ningi in over 20 years , we had hail up to 50mm and winds about 60knots, together with many lightning strikes and it flooded, had that much rain all the gutters were over flowing and the street flooded in 20 minutes, more came this evening but I think that it will start easing off now. I would have hated to be in the passage today.

Tomorrow I have to find a length of new poly carbonate roof sheeting as the hail put 20  holes in the existing sheet in the garage roof, which most likely had perished over the years with exposure to the UV and heat. Trouble is I need my trailer to pick up a sheet and it is sitting at the back of my property, so with the amount of rain we have had the ground will probably be soft as mush.

I didn't bother to fix or tarp up the shed roof as there is no way I am climbing up on a tin roof in the middle of the pouring rain, with the wind and also with the lightning striking all around us, the type that rattles your windows. So it was interesting to say the least, will go out tomorrow morning and check out the damage.

Anyone else have damage to their homes?

Just a bit of rain and some lightning out logan village way. 

Kinda bummed tbh. Was hopping for a longer rain period. 

You can keep your hail though. That stuff is nasty. 

This weather is similar to the lead up to 2011. 

And for some reason this site looks totally different on my phone now. Dunno what I've done. 

It was very directional and narrow in a NW direction down the coast, my wife works in Caboolture (10Km away) and she said there was hardly anything coming down, she could hear the thunder and a bit of rain but that was it. Looking on the bright side, I wont have to water the garden for a while and it also looks like it might hit Frazer Island shortly so it may put out the fires there. I suspect we may have had over 100mm of rain.

I think that there may have been an update to the sites software.

Thanks boys. 

I had opened the internet on my phone and this site was still open on a page that was from yesterday. 

If you swipe down on a galaxy s10 it renews the page, but the new page that came up is a hell of a lot different to the old one, at first glimpse. Spun me out for a sec. I'm not to savvy with the telesmartphone.

Cheers. 

23 hours ago, Ed. said:

Well this afternoon the sky opened up and we had the biggest storm I have seen here since we have lived here in Ningi in over 20 years , we had hail up to 50mm and winds about 60knots, together with many lightning strikes and it flooded, had that much rain all the gutters were over flowing and the street flooded in 20 minutes, more came this evening but I think that it will start easing off now. I would have hated to be in the passage today.

Tomorrow I have to find a length of new poly carbonate roof sheeting as the hail put 20  holes in the existing sheet in the garage roof, which most likely had perished over the years with exposure to the UV and heat. Trouble is I need my trailer to pick up a sheet and it is sitting at the back of my property, so with the amount of rain we have had the ground will probably be soft as mush.

I didn't bother to fix or tarp up the shed roof as there is no way I am climbing up on a tin roof in the middle of the pouring rain, with the wind and also with the lightning striking all around us, the type that rattles your windows. So it was interesting to say the least, will go out tomorrow morning and check out the damage.

Anyone else have damage to their homes?

Hey Ed I just got back from Coffs otherwise I would have offered earlier if you cant get to your trailer yell out and I can grab the poly carb in the truck  I'm wagging work tomorrow 

Thanks for the offer Sneaky1, but I sorted it out, the ground was quite soft I but put it in to Low 4WD  and selected mud mode and it handled it OK with out digging up my yard too much. Had to drive to Burpengary Mitre 10 as they were the only ones who had the Polycarb in the trim deck profile all the other places had to order the stuff in.

Anyway a few hours later it is all fixed now and the rain can't get in now, so all's good.

On 07/12/2020 at 8:07 PM, Ed. said:

It was very directional and narrow in a NW direction down the coast, my wife works in Caboolture (10Km away) and she said there was hardly anything coming down, she could hear the thunder and a bit of rain but that was it. Looking on the bright side, I wont have to water the garden for a while and it also looks like it might hit Frazer Island shortly so it may put out the fires there. I suspect we may have had over 100mm of rain.

I think that there may have been an update to the sites software.

ED! You haven’t got a rain gauge! Shame on you! The first thing any guy worth his salt buys once they turn fifty is a rain gauge. Sorry, but I’m going to have to unfriend you on Facebook.

2 minutes ago, ellicat said:

You even get to use your boat more than the rain gauge lately.

Yes. And I haven’t even used my boat in over a month. It’s very sad when you can’t use either of them. 

Although, I do occasionally sit in it and turn the steering wheel very fast, and go Vroom, Vroom! 

Just makes me feel a bit better.

p.s I sit in the boat, not the rain gauge. 

Just now, GregOug said:

Yes. And I haven’t even used my boat in over a month. It’s very sad when you can’t use either of them. 

Although, I do occasionally sit in it and turn the steering wheel very fast, and go Vroom, Vroom! 

Just makes me feel a bit better.

p.s I sit in the boat, not the rain gauge. 

Then again, if you’ve seen me, you’d realise I was never going to fit in the gauge.

24 minutes ago, GregOug said:

ED! You haven’t got a rain gauge! Shame on you! The first thing any guy worth his salt buys once they turn fifty is a rain gauge. Sorry, but I’m going to have to unfriend you on Facebook.

But I do, when I stick my hand out the door and it gets wet, it's raining, if I see a cat flying through the air I know it's windy and if I see a coconut smashing through a wall I know there is a cyclone.🤣

A friend of my wifes boss said that his plastic downpipes had holes in them where the Hail hit them horizontaly.

14 minutes ago, Ed. said:

But I do, when I stick my hand out the door and it gets wet, it's raining, if I see a cat flying through the air I know it's windy and if I see a coconut smashing through a wall I know there is a cyclone.🤣

A friend of my wifes boss said that his plastic downpipes had holes in them where the Hail hit them horizontaly.

Well, as usual, I can beat that. We had a hail storm a few years ago that was that severe that ALL the down pipes filled totally with hail and collapsed under the weight and split into millions of pieces. (Poetic licence used here. Probably thousands, not millions, but who’s going to count them).There wasn’t a down pipe left.