Slow pitch rod action

Jigging rods tend to be a slower action, short, thin, light and strong for its appearance. Its helpful to have a soft tip for slow pitch jigging as the quarter turn of the reel and subsequent bounce of the rod tip is what gives the jig action and best feel. I don't have a specific jig rod anymore and I kind of miss them but you definitely don't NEED one for jigging! 

If you're after a dedicated rod, I'd suggest picking up one marketed as slow pitch. In terms of action they tend to be slow and parabolic. They'll be rated more to the size of jig you're dropping rather than the line you're using. This is so that when you give that qtr/hlf turn Sam mentioned, the rod loads up and pitches the lure effectively. 

As Sam said, you don't need one, but those + dedicated reels like Ocea Jiggers make it easier.

14 hours ago, samsteele115 said:

Jigging rods tend to be a slower action, short, thin, light and strong for its appearance. Its helpful to have a soft tip for slow pitch jigging as the quarter turn of the reel and subsequent bounce of the rod tip is what gives the jig action and best feel. I don't have a specific jig rod anymore and I kind of miss them but you definitely don't NEED one for jigging! 

As you say, it is helpful to have a soft tip.  Does that mean a fast action should work ok? Can't find a lot of slow action rods, or they don't say it.  Not sure if i want a dedicated one or not.  I have had success with micro jigs so one that could do both would be useful.

If you aren't certain on a dedicated rod just yet, then IMO keep using whatever rod you have been using for plastics etc. 

You can still catch fish, only difference is a dedicated rod will do all the work and the parabolic action helps soften the jerking on the (potentially tiny) hooks. In some regards, they have bugger all backbone - the reel does all the fighting. 

You can still slow pitch a jig and other jigging techniques on other rods, just need to determine how. Best bet for that is to practice and see what the lure does in shallower waters where you can still see it.