Offshore Kayak rod suggestions (Telescopic?)

Hi guys,

Recently upgraded from a viking nemo 2 man to their profish 45 to trawl and bottom bash off pt Lookout in hopes of pelagics and large demersals. The profish unlike some other kayaks (stealths) doesn't have a big enough internal storage to store your typical 6ft boat rods while landing in the surf and so was wondering if you guys knew of any good compact options (collapse to about 80cm). I was hoping there was some heavy duty telescopic that would be heavy duty enough to bring in a decent pelagic. If this happens to exist it would be ideal because the rods could be rigged up before heading out, whereas a three piece would have to be rigged on the ocean which I have learnt can be painful or at least slow. Would love to hear what you guys run and will update if I find anything that seems good in search.

Cheers

42 minutes ago, longhairedwahoo said:

Hi guys,

Recently upgraded from a viking nemo 2 man to their profish 45 to trawl and bottom bash off pt Lookout in hopes of pelagics and large demersals. The profish unlike some other kayaks (stealths) doesn't have a big enough internal storage to store your typical 6ft boat rods while landing in the surf and so was wondering if you guys knew of any good compact options (collapse to about 80cm). I was hoping there was some heavy duty telescopic that would be heavy duty enough to bring in a decent pelagic. If this happens to exist it would be ideal because the rods could be rigged up before heading out, whereas a three piece would have to be rigged on the ocean which I have learnt can be painful or at least slow. Would love to hear what you guys run and will update if I find anything that seems good in search.

Cheers

Unfortunately I’m not sure if decent/high quality  telescopic rods exist. I’ve used small light ones for bream fishing and a heavy duty shimano one with beach fishing but that’s about it . Most of them have horrible feeling blanks and dodgy rod guides. My advice would be to look for a decent small 2pc rod maybe around 5,3-6 at full size 

10 hours ago, longhairedwahoo said:

Hi guys,

Cheers

Hey @longhairedwahoo

I agree with Breaming with Bro. Most telescopic rods are low quality and often aren't sensitive, and the weight is unbalanced. In saying that, I have a $70 rod and reel combo (telescopic) that comes with me whenever I go hiking or camping, and it has held up well over 4 or 5 years.

Another option is a three piece (or even four piece) rod. I own a three piece which I use as well as my telescopic. While I prefer the telescopic for chucking lure (light lures though, not what you'd typically use offshore) I can still cast around 25 metres with the three piece, and it's a bit of a cheapy. I'd imagine if you looked around you'd be able to find a good quality one for a reasonable price.

Cheers Hamish

2 hours ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey @longhairedwahoo

I agree with Breaming with Bro. Most telescopic rods are low quality and often aren't sensitive, and the weight is unbalanced. In saying that, I have a $70 rod and reel combo (telescopic) that comes with me whenever I go hiking or camping, and it has held up well over 4 or 5 years.

Another option is a three piece (or even four piece) rod. I own a three piece which I use as well as my telescopic. While I prefer the telescopic for chucking lure (light lures though, not what you'd typically use offshore) I can still cast around 25 metres with the three piece, and it's a bit of a cheapy. I'd imagine if you looked around you'd be able to find a good quality one for a reasonable price.

Cheers Hamish

Cheers Hamish, highest line class I could find in retailers in aus was a  5kg Abu which seemed overpriced so ended up finding a few suppliers in China and have 3 good looking 'carbon' rods on the way in hopes at least 1 is not crap.

Personally i use a Shimano barra raider for mackerel and tuna, it is 2 piece (dont know the exact size) with a Shimano Sedona 4000 spooled with 30Ip Braid and Mono leader.  i use it in my kayak in the estuary and lakes and it works really well.  i would suggest going with something like that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...