tanning skins

Junky

Get a tanning kit rather than buying the raw chemicals.....ratios are fairly critical for a long lasting skin. Keep them cool as possible at all times during the prep and tanning / breaking process to minimise bacterial growth. 

Breaking the skins is probably the hardest part of the whole process but it just takes patience to do it right.

Very satisfying when a good skin is the end result.

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Good luck Damo, what is the purpose of tanning them? 

G'day Hamish.

It's the process of turning their skin to leather. It's just soft and slimey at the moment. If you ever see a lambswool have a feel of the back. 

Have to be careful of shrinkage and fleece separation. 

It's all just YouTube vids and trials. 

They were going to be thrown out and my bro inlaw is a keen tryer of things, so we thought there'd be nothing to loose and education to gain. 

1 hour ago, Angry51 said:

I've only used that " Leidreitter's" tanning kits on cow/roo skins with good success. A fair bit of work but very satisfying.

Most important part is making sure there's no meat/fat/sinew left on skins/hides before tanning.

And then lubing them and breaking the fibres.

Thanks angry. 

The gernie got all the meat fat sinew off fairly easily. 

Just a light trim with the knife for the really stuck on stuff tomorrow morning. 

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

I'm interested in seeing how you go. Sounds almost too easy and the smell is a win.

It looks like it was a decent size sheep.

Yes Brain, that's what im worried about. Why is it so easy? 

Okay size to them. 

I think they came in around 30kg on the hook. Will k ow tomorrow as I'm heading over to watch the butcher weave his magic. 

I like lambswool. Nice and warm under feet. Will go nicely on the floor up north. 

1 hour ago, mangajack said:

Get a tanning kit rather than buying the raw chemicals.....ratios are fairly critical for a long lasting skin. Keep them cool as possible at all times during the prep and tanning / breaking process to minimise bacterial growth. 

Breaking the skins is probably the hardest part of the whole process but it just takes patience to do it right.

Very satisfying when a good skin is the end result.

Greatly appreciated mangajack. 

Looking online, it looks like Greg grants on Ipswich road sell kits. 

Will head over tomorrow and have a look. 

8 hours ago, Bob9863 said:

I like brain tanning, I just flesh a hide using a pressure washer, stretch and dry it, paint on the brains and your GTG. Well for a rug anyway, you can smoke it or treat it with softening treatments if you want it pliable. 

I've just last night read about this method bob. 

Unfortunately it will have to be next time as the heads have been taken away. 

This is the method we are following. 

Tanning kits are heavily priced for my first go, and I would like to try the egg yoke idea. 

Alum powder is cheap as chips. 

I'm not to bothered if the skins  turn out a little on the "stiffer" side (haha, where will the boys go with that comment) as the skins will just be used as floor rugs, and no doubt the hound will find them comfortable as well, although she already has a super king sized woolen doggy bed. 

Will keep the updates coming as I fumble around. 

Okay. 

The recipe is as follows for one skin. 

20ltrs of water. 

5kg of salt. 

500g of Alum, aka aluminium sulphate. 

I went to school in Cleveland so my maths is not the best but I calculated for 2 skins... 

40ltrs of water. 

10kg of salt. 

Ikg of Alum. 

So here we are. 

IMG_20230603_164228.thumb.jpg.da0bf3fa7a32470569f4ce8d913bc19d.jpg

As per the video, I am to stir this twice daily. I have my trusty old landing net handle minus the landing net as it broke off a while ago. (yes I have a new net for fishing.) 

IMG_20230603_164940.thumb.jpg.6c6bb2bf499564ef0f36d5e97b1698bb.jpg

As per the video clip, I have my safety boots on and I used the human skinned gloves. 

In one weeks time, I'll get the skins out for drying.

I also have an Engel full of meat. Butchers said keep it refrigerated for a week (at least) before freezing. 

I'm on a carnivore diet atm so it may not last long enough to hit the freezer. 

IMG_20230603_165349.thumb.jpg.8f784782b8b6220e75d56db2f4a7a589.jpg

These are the butchers. 

Good blokes and very quick. 

Very nice cuts. 

IMG_20230603_165454.thumb.jpg.e54503f2080a5745e492ac7cff15dde0.jpg

Will update in a week's time. 

Cheers. 

Damo. 

18 minutes ago, Angry51 said:

Damo, you realise you can stir more than twice daily.

I used to do it many times, whenever I was near it, doesn't hurt it, just covers it better.

Thanks angry. 

I'll give it a stir now. 

It's actually really exciting times for me atm. 

I'm slowly getting back into hunting and I am currently in the process of getting my firearms license updated and reregistered. Have to do the safety course again though as my brief expired yrs ago, and no, I don't have any firearms atm. 

That thread of bobs with that deer kicked off my enthusiasm again. 

We used to do a lot back in the 90s and if I can get this tanning sorted I'll get some deer hide and I'll have some nice ground covers in my fishing shack. 

Would love a few trophy heads as well. 

Another thing I learnt today was that the grass seeds work their way into sheep's skin, and I mean to the underside. 

I'll get a pic when I pull these skins out. Little black seeds pretty much ready to reach the flesh. Was very close with this one lamb. Other skin is clean as a whistle. 

As I was gernieing the fat and sinew off I noticed these black things that looked like farmers friends embedded into the skin. 

Turns out they're grass seeds and can be fatal to sheep. 

Luckily the sheep that owned the skin was okay but the butchers said that we just got to him in time before the seeds worked their way into the flesh and started to grow. 

Once that happens the sheep is toast, well the flesh is anyway. 

Interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/06/2023 at 1:57 PM, Angry51 said:

How are them skins going Junky.

Must be looking good bout now.

Hey Angry. 

They look great. 

Managed to get them on the drying rack on wed, however I have the flu so haven't spent much time on them at all. Just washed them and hung them basically. 

Been stretching the skin but I have been sick as a dog for the week so motivation is just not there. They'll be okay.

I'm just trying to recover asap. Knocked me this one. 

Will get out in the morning for a look. Have to trim them, then sand them back a little and egg yoke them. Will get that done tomorrow. 

I'll get some pics up. 

Yep. Stretched them about twice a day as they were drying. 

I was pretty crook at the time so it was a basic 5 Min job. My brain just wasn't interested though. 

Considering the illness and lack of motivation, I'm still pretty happy how they turned out. 

Still a touch damp. 

Another week on the rack and they'll be sweet.

A light sand at the end to get all those little dags and rough bits off as well. 

Grass seed is still bedded deep in one of the skins so they'll be staying put. I'm not gonna dig them out. To many. 

Why can't we call them Ugg boots anymore?