favourite lures

mzaakir

McGrath or jackal lipless vibes, great action, by letting them sink you can fish any depth, you can twitch them in a drift, Strait retrieve or slow roll them.

They catch everything here from the smallest redfin to the biggest cod and they work great on yellow belly and trout. I've used them overseas for snakehead, arapima, red tail catfish and alligator gar, they are just so versatile.

They are pretty much the only lures I use any more.

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

RMG Scorpion 35 in Golden Green for bass or 3.2 inch Baitjunkie minnow in Motor Oil for flathead. 

Hey Hamish, do you find the baitjunkies slide down the jig head too easily? I have been trying them recently. They look the goods but are overpriced and over packaged as well as being hard to keep on the jig head properly. Maybe it’s just me?

57 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Hey Hamish, do you find the baitjunkies slide down the jig head too easily? I have been trying them recently. They look the goods but are overpriced and over packaged as well as being hard to keep on the jig head properly. Maybe it’s just me?

Hi Steve, yes I have noticed this, I should probably try the zman 3 inch Minnowz lure. I find I normally get one or two uses out of the same baitjunkie before it just slides off the jighead keeper every cast. 

3 hours ago, mzaakir said:

try the new baitjunkie jigheads, ive been using them and they stop that problem completely the only problem with them is that if you want to change plastic its hard to take the plastic off without ripping it so best bet just to take out a new jighead 

Thanks for the tip, but I don’t think I will buy jig heads specifically for one brand of plastic. Hope that they aren’t over-packaged or over-priced for those who do use them.

16 minutes ago, Old Scaley said:

Thanks for the tip, but I don’t think I will buy jig heads specifically for one brand of plastic. Hope that they aren’t over-packaged or over-priced for those who do use them.

Sounds like a product flaw that inadvertently caused product consumption has been responsibly noticed and acted upon.

The flaw has been addressed by requiring greater product consumption...???

6 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

I have heard of people using a specific Loctite that cures in water to keep the plastic in place, considering the minute amount that would be required it would probably be the most cost effective solution rather than constantly replacing plastics, or having multiple jigheads rigged?

On 25/08/2023 at 12:01 PM, mzaakir said:

never tried the lipless cranks before not really a fan but might have to give them a go. Halco metals and even the poppers are so good on the beach. Fish absolutly love them. Im not the biggest fan of the baitjunkies, ill get them now and again and when i do its always the 3.2inch lol. 

I never liked the look of them, but I'd seen a few people use them with a lot of success so I gave them a go.

Now I find they outfish everything else in many circumstances, I rarely use traditional minnow style ones any more.

I still use the more common styles for trolling wich can be a weakness for the lipless lures. But for casting they are definitely king.

Well they are in my book anyway.

To be honest the best one for me that is still on the shelves is the 80mm squidgyfish in drop bear colour. Accounted for literally thousands of fish for me.

Two plastics no longer for sale are Juno Firebaits 90mm and squidgy wild prawns 65mm (the original version).

Firebaits were snapper lollies they could not resist.

Wild prawns were my #1 go to lures accounting for everything from whiting to tuna and every other species in between bar garfish. I would easily have filled my boat to overflowing several times in accumulated fish caught on them.

Zmans are ok but i think just a tad more bouyant than plastisol lures.

For a 3rd go to lure I would have to say Ecogear PX45 for whiting on the surface...outcatches the sugar pens 3 to 1 easily.

• 2 months later...