Best Braid Colours

G'day Everybody.

Just a quick question, I've bought a new reel (Daiwa Kix 23 - 2500). I have always used J-Braid Grand x8 for all my other reels, however, since it is a new reel, and Daiwa recently came out with their 'new and improved' braid line, (J-Braid Expedition), I would like to try that new braid out. 

My confusion is, the expedition only comes in orange, or multi colour braid line. For me in the past I've always used blue braid (sometimes green or yellow). I am wondering if anybody has used it and has a preference, what would you recommend, i do basic river estuary fishing (the bread and butter species). 

From what I understand, due to leader being clear the braid isn't too visible for fish, braid colour is really only for us humans to see???

All advice is very much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Peter

I have the orange Expedition braid on one reel and Siglon multi colour on another. Fish don't seem to care. My FC leader is usually about 2 metres.

I have faded yellow JBraid X4 on my flathead reel with similar leader length and still catch them on plastics.

With enough leader length I don't think the braid colour matters too much from a fish perspective. It does matter that you can see it, though.

I have orange 50lb braid on one of my overheads. I can't remember what brand but I use it to bottom bash and troll. I didn't buy it for the colour, though I would not hesitate to buy orange line again. 

Most of my reels have multi coloured on them.

This is not a "preference" thing. It's because the thinner stuff tends to only be multi coloured.

Diameter is what I tend to preference. I mostly use spin gear so I am looking for capacity and strength. 

Thanks to everybody for your replies. (Apologies for my delay in replying).

Sounds like orange or multi-colour isn't going to be a huge factor in the decision. 

9 hours ago, Junky said:

This is not a "preference" thing. It's because the thinner stuff tends to only be multi coloured.

Diameter is what I tend to preference. I mostly use spin gear so I am looking for capacity and strength. 

When @Junky said the above ^. I was reminded of some stuff i saw online.

Screenshots from my local tackle shop.

For Jbraid x8 Expedition:image.png.a73e5b524702db1720005b3a32162728.png

Then for JBraid x8 Grand

image.png.fafa1df873a8c5ba9780d0f857e33e58.png

I had plans of purchasing 8lb braid. As i mentions previously i had always used JBraid x8 Grand which is PE 1 for 8lb. However the new Jbraid Expedition for 8lb is PE 0.6.

Then when i look at this table below I ask myself, is 0.037mm (the difference between 0.6 and 1 PE braid) really going make a huge difference.

Advanced Braided Lines — Half Past First Cast

I would love to hear what others have to say about line PE. Seeing as Jbraid 8 Grand for 8lb is PE 1 should I get Jbraid Expedition in PE 1 12lb?? 

All advice is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Peter.

I rate braids characteristics in the following importance:

1. is it a fused braid line? least desirable

2. is it a coated line? prefer uncoated.

3. is the line truly limp and memory free?

4. is thin for breaking strain....Siglon PEX8 and Tasline All white are my two long term favorite braids.

5. is it white or orange.

6. Does the PE rating on the box also include actual test breaking strain? If not I do not buy it.

For me the PE system for braid is crap you can get the same PE rating across multiple brands and versions and have wildly different breaking strains.

Casting diameters mean bugger all if your bait does not have enough weight or is too much weight for the rod that you are using.

5 hours ago, Peter K said:

Many thanks Mangajack, in relation to your rating system, would you know anything about Daiwa Jbraid x8 expedition for number 3,4 and 6 from your list?

Cheers,
Peter

Diawa Jbraid is decent braid, i have come close to buying it before.

Spin or baitcaster?

if your after a thin braid thats super strong cant go pasts ygk pentagram, pe 0.8 is 16lb, pe 0.6 is 14lb. Its all i run on my light reels. planning on getting a kix myself and that will be my choice of braid on it definitly. 

Thanks @mzaakir, Looks like a cool braid, very thin for its strength. However, I'm only particularly interested in purchasing the Daiwa products for this particular rod. I'll keep that line in mind for the future. Thanks once again.

Peter

19 hours ago, Peter K said:

Daiwa Jbraid x8 expedition for number 3,4 and 6 from your list?

I have 15lb Expedition.

I've landed a 73cm flattie on it and also 50's cm snapper. Line held up well.

It is limp and memory free.

It is thin. I'd equate the 15lb to a regular 8lb.

I don't have the box anymore, so cannot answer '6'.

Well, it casts very well, so for your target species I reckon 10lb would cover you - a bit more confidence if you need to put some pressure on a fish. Having said that, an 8lb version would cast a mile with a lighter jighead or lure.

PE 1.5 Varivas in white is almost impossible to see for my aging eyes in the wrong light conditions.  Sunline Castway is easier to see but it seems thick for PE but it casts nice enough.  Shimano Grappler is also OK, Nomad is ok but thick and course, Shimano Ocea is nice but $$$$,  YGK Pentagram Upgrade is hard to go past in the mid price range braids - never had a problem with it.  Meets all Manga’s points IMHO.

Thanks Huxstang,

As mentioned before, for this particular rod I do want to purchase Daiwa Expedition so I can try it out. Im not a Shimano fan so perhaps the YGK can be a good option for future purchases. 

Cheers,

Peter.

Give the Saltiga 12 a go. 

I love the stuff. 

Super thin, super strong, great casting line. 

PE6 is equivalent to 100lb. 

Can fit 300m on a saltiga 14000. 

Another one I recommend is Gosen. Awesome stuff as well. 

Seems to last if not used much, which has been the case for me lately.