Sunken wall land based 17/1/08

Mack_attack

We decided to give Shultz a miss today and try somewhere new. After fishing near the Sunken wall for many years by boat we finally decided to give it a go land-based. We arrived at around 11am to a low tide, which was on the rise.

The tackle we were using consisted of 4lb Nitlon braid and a 6lb Leader. I also had a heavier setup of 10lb Fireline with a 12lb leader if the cod were a problem. My first cast after walking under the Cement Co conveyer belt was rewarded in a 26cm bream that fought pretty well B) . Walking down a little further I hooked what I thought was a snag before giving the distinctive powerful ‘wobbles’ of a little cod around 35cm. Several casts later and 20m down the rock wall I got absolutely hammered by a big cod (well big for 4lb line standards) my guess around 45cm and after screaming 6m of line of the reel it found an oyster shell and ping, off went my Sx40.:ohmy: :angry::(

After putting my misfortune behind me and changing to the 10lb gear, I walked down the wall and caught a smaller cod of around 30cm on a jackal chubby, which happened to be a first for me.;) Will followed shortly with another 34cm cod, which was his first ever fish on a HB in the Brisbane River.:huh: After repeatedly getting drenched in rain we decided to head back to the Pinkenba boat ramp and Will scored a little tailor along the way. Once we hit the sand near the ramp I tied on an Sx48 to try to score a Flathead or two and first cast over the sand I had a hook up. I first called it for a small Flattie but to my surprise it was a 25cm whiting. The fish was hooked in the mouth and side so I think it was more a territorial strike than a strike out of hunger. Besides there was no way an Sx48 was going to fit in its mouth anyway. Before we left I had another hookup on a suspected whiting but it managed to free itself.

Overall it was a good day besides the cyclonic winds and torrential rain and we managed to get a few fish at a spot we’ve never fished before.

pics to follow

Great stuff fellas but you stole my idea.:silly:

I've been meaning to have a crack there but didn't know it I could access it land based.

What I don't get is I thought the sunken wall was on the south side of the river near fisherman's island but you said you ended up at Pinkenba??

Nice to see you used the 308 in the overcast conditions, that's when it really fires.

Mack_attack wrote:

This little fella hit faster than the Cod:huh: :lol: , but he didn't have the weight to put up a fight at all. If you can't tell, it is being held very close to the camera. The lures an SX40 (ie 4cm's long) so he's probably only 12cm or so. Bloody aggressive fish Tailor:)

It's a pretty good spot. And we didn't get told off by any port security or workers while fishing under the Cement Co so that's a good thing:)

I also saw a splash from a fish that looked as though someone had dropped an oversize bowling ball from 10m's up. I'm thinking a Shark, Ray or Dolphin. It was a huge splash. And I saw it from about 500m away:huh:

Thanks heaps for that I had no idea what I was talking about. We fished along that rockwall upstream of the pinkenba boat ramp in the classic. I got one decent flattie and got crushed by something really big. Been meaning to go back there. How'd you get up to the sunken wall? can you walk there from the Pinkenba boat ramp??

Yeap, that's what we did. It's just a fairly hard walk over big rocks. I actually got a bit puffed:silly:

Also, in the little creek between the Sunken Wall and the BP factory, there were heaps of ship wrecks; so at high tide with a kayak, I reckon that you'd get Jacks, Cod and Flathead trolling around the wrecks. There were some big ships as well.

Oh yeah, I also found a Predatek Spoonbill lure. It's an awesome lure that will be used for Jacks and Cod in the near future:)

So you guys didn't see any signs up saying no entry or anything?? If there's little Taylor there it might be worth spinning some slices for bigger models.:) I wonder if it's possible to get a snapper there land based on a lure. How deep does the water drop off to?

Hmmm.... At cement co on a mid tide, probably around 1.5-2m's. After you've walked up pretty far, it probably drops down to about 3.5-4m's or so, maybe more (mid-tide again).

The only sign's that I saw were saying that you weren't allowed to tresspass inside the fence so I think it's ok. Boat rules of 30m+ only apply in a boat I'm pretty sure.

Also, after we got about 300m away from the Cement Co, the water cleared up until it was as clear as out in the bay. Was weird, clearest I've ever seen the river, especially after this rain?:dry:.

Kev: No problem. This site is a place for sharing info. Without Dan's advice on lure colour, I wouldn't have caught my fish:)

I saw kev cast a megabass X80 into Schultz the other day and come within inches of putting it into the rocks on the other side of the bank. Absolute madnesslol:laugh:

There's no way I'd be using a lure like that in that place. That's like hanging the Mona Lisa in McDonalds:P

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

may i give u a lure color advise as well.. lol

check this out...
/>http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmbsmoltx.html have a look at the shrimp color.

i have been bidding on one at ebay and no matter how much i need to spend, it's mine. lol

i have a couple of sx40's that are a similar colour to that, they work a treat on flatties

Thanks for sharing. Used to walk it 30 odd yrars ago. Was always good for 50 or so bream on chook guts with odd school jew thrown in in January and February full moon and run up to high tide.Never used to eat the fish just take a few back to give to neighbours and never told them where we caught them.Always got at least one bream over 3 lb and if we used yabbys used to pick up a few luderick.

Had to wait for the tide to drop for the walk back.

Cheers

Ray

if you want to i can give you a guided tour of how to access that area kev/dan but as for catching the fish thats up to guys ive only ever got bream there i normally drift past the front of it on an incoming tide its not very deep as a whole but you do get squire on the right/lucky days i can drop you there by boat to if you want ill just sit 200m away and try for sharks :)

faulked wrote:

if you want to i can give you a guided tour of how to access that area kev/dan but as for catching the fish thats up to guys ive only ever got bream there i normally drift past the front of it on an incoming tide its not very deep as a whole but you do get squire on the right/lucky days i can drop you there by boat to if you want ill just sit 200m away and try for sharks :)

Sounds like a great plan ;)

Archived