Fairburn Overflowing.

rayke1938

See that Fairburn is overflowing into the Nogoa.

Should send some yallas down into the Dawson and maybe some barra will make it all the way to the sea to breed.

Hope they do not loose too many as they had a big barra kill this winter. Apparently it did not affect the yellas.

Bit hard for the stocking group.

Cant winge too much as they needed the rain and the redclaw population will really bloom in a couple of months.

Cheers

Ray

Still here feral, :P

I remember the last time it went over, got pleanty of yellars down at the top weir.

Rockys problem will be if the water from back of Mackay hits at the same time as the western rivers (Dawson Mc kenzie Nogoa etc)

Thats what happened in 1991.

Ray , I think that there are too many weirs(30+ from memory) between fairbarn and the SALT to do the Barra anygood.

Anyhow I think it works the other way arround. They go from Salt to fresh to breed , Dont they.

rayke1938 wrote:

I thought they bred in the salt otherwise they would breed in the impoundments.Wonder what strain the yellas are in Fairburn?

Cheers

Ray

Your wright again Ray ,

Males and females migrate into estuaries to breed, and then return to their original river systems. Males over five years of age usually go through a sex transformation to become female.

Its just that the council spent lots $$$ building fish walks so they could get arround the Barrage and go upriver into the fresh. Didnt work either , but a good place to catch them. :laugh:

I had a look on Sunwater and Fairbairn is currently 324 000 ML over the full capacity of the dam:ohmy:

I thought that was a lot considering how big the dam is, then I had a look at the Burdekin Falls Dam. I'll just say WOW!!!. It's full capacity is 1 860 000 ML and it is currently at 2 774 000 ML. Imagine if all that spare water could be put into our dams:(

Lozzel wrote:

rayke1938 wrote:
I thought they bred in the salt otherwise they would breed in the impoundments.Wonder what strain the yellas are in Fairburn?

Cheers

Ray

Your wright again Ray ,

Males and females migrate into estuaries to breed, and then return to their original river systems. Males over five years of age usually go through a sex transformation to become female.

Its just that the council spent lots $$$ building fish walks so they could get arround the Barrage and go upriver into the fresh. Didnt work either , but a good place to catch them. :laugh:

I think I read about this in BnB (Dec issue??)unsure). They have canned fishing at these places now. However the indigenous people are allowed to fish there for one of the usual indigenous rights thingies they have.

Cowfish13 wrote:

I had a look on Sunwater and Fairbairn is currently 324 000 ML over the full capacity of the dam:ohmy:

I thought that was a lot considering how big the dam is, then I had a look at the Burdekin Falls Dam. I'll just say WOW!!!. It's full capacity is 1 860 000 ML and it is currently at 2 774 000 ML. Imagine if all that spare water could be put into our dams:(

All that fresh water is helping to cool the GBReef waters and save the coral from extinction (as it has been doing for millenia).

Stopping fresh water flowing into the ocean is not a good thing in my opinion. Unless you want to change the habitat where it outflows and increase salinity levels.

Archived