moogerah dam

grotty

Hey guys.

Just heading to Moogerah dam tomorrow for the long weekend for a bit of a relax before i start my new job and life gets hectic.

Never been to the dam before and was wondering if anyone knows what it is fishing like at the moment and what the bait gathering is like there?

Cheers

Well spinnerbaits are deadly on bass and yellows. More importantly, although they look a bit odd, they are very easy to use. Just cast, let them sink and retrieve. You can try tricky retrieves but just winding in at a steady pace and letting the blades do their work is more than suffecient.

Something to consider is casting range as well. Are you using a boat. If so this doesnt really matter. If you are fishing from the bank a heavier lipless crank can be helpful as you can cast it a whole lot further. Lipless crank baits come on loads of brands and it depends what you want to spend. Jackals TN50's are considered by many to be the best. But they come with a hefty price tag. G-Vibes are good cheper option and Strike King red eye shads are about middle range.

But my other favourite fresh water lures are tassie devils. These can be used like a metal slug but with more action. Also get a good distance from them. Metal slugs in the traditional sense have also caught their fair share off bass lately.

Dont hesitate to check out the online shop as well :P I had good success with several lures from the strike king rangs on the weekend.

Although even with the express post if you ordered them now they would not get there till tuesday as monday is a publisc holiday. But maybe some other time!

Good luck and good fishing.

Angus

I was at Moroon last week and the water was above the cement of the ramp after the rain.

I did not catch anything, but got a hell of a hit in the trees with a spinner bait- just a tip, if you look about 20 feet above the water into the trees there is a free spinner bait wrapped around the tree.....it became an expensive trip:(

Good luck where ever you go

Archived