Full of questions...just not enough answers

a10tion_2_detail

:huh: Hi all...with the short amount of time that ive spent on this site, so far...its been a gods send. Those who have popped there heads in and helped me out - two thumbs up to ya's.

Now ive been pretty keen to hit the water and toss a line in (time permitting) over the years...but.... Im still learning the basics...Sooooo.....

All I want to know for now is.....Is there a do and dont way to put a salt yabbie on my hook? As much as I enjoy the little fella's...they do come off a fair bit (Slippery wittle suckers)? [img size=348]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/cgan362l.jpg

post-2604-144598442037_thumb.jpg

Normally I would turn the yabbie on its back holding it gently between thumb and forefinger, run the hook up the body of the yabbie, starting at the tail and coming out just before the head. This allows the bait to lay flat and appears more natural in presentation. If you go through the head that will often kill the little critter which lessens it's effectivness as live bait!:silly:

They make great baits as most all species will take them.

Good luck;)

Rocket

I guess to keep it alive for the longest possible time id bait it like a live shrimp.

But this i mean simply insert the hook once though the end of its tail. It might not look like its firmly attacched, but this is a strong section of the body and it should hold. Quality hooks that are thin but strong should help this.

By baiting it up like this the shrimp will remain alive longer kicking around etc and thus attracting more fish.

Angus

Archived