2002 6hp Mariner

Keithygeorge

hello all,

just got a question not sure if it i silly one im a newbie to the boating scene. i dont have my boat licence yet is there any tricks i can do to make my 6hp quicker. bigger carbi and prop work? also heard of a thing on the market called a stingray/hydrofoil gets the boat on the plain quicker i think. Is that a worthwhile investment? thanks in advance any help appreciated

Keithygeorge wrote:

hello all,

just got a question not sure if it i silly one im a newbie to the boating scene. i dont have my boat licence yet is there any tricks i can do to make my 6hp quicker. bigger carbi and prop work? also heard of a thing on the market called a stingray/hydrofoil gets the boat on the plain quicker i think. Is that a worthwhile investment? thanks in advance any help appreciated

Well a lot of older 6's were really 8's with smaller carbs or restrictor plates, but honestly it wont make you go faster, what you is enough grunt to get you on to the plane, below that you just get more noise for not much speed increase. So unless your running a very small boat, your probably going to need a minimum of 15 to get on the plane.

For comparison, I get 9-10kph out of my 16 foot tinnie with the 6hp on the back. Running 2 6 hp's on the back I get 11-12kph. My boat is pretty light, so I suspect the 25hp sitting in Ray's shed would probably plane it, but maybe not with all the batteries on board.

Talk to Michael at Coorparoo Marine 33974141 he is Mercury/ Mariner expert.

Looking at the latest nercury/mariner specs the 6hp is a completely different motor to the 8hp so an upgrade is not possible.

Getting a boat license is not a big deal and well worth while just for the extra knowledge that you will acquire.

Cheers

Ray

Archived