Flathead Catfish

Red

GdayJIMMYBOB, My first post on this site and I have to make an apology.

That's not me ... Just an old man with his big fish that i'm jealous of.

I've been trying to break a 100 lbs for over 50 yrs. My best is 98 lb.

Here's my son holding two average nice ones.

[img size=331]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Cats.jpg

post-356-144598401311_thumb.jpg

Hey Red, for \"Average Catfish\" those two of your sons are imperssive!!

And yeah i dont think vids will stick at present. Let me look into that for yout though.

I wonder what is the biggest catty i could land ay awoonga. Apparantly there are some beasts in there!

Thanks for contributing something a little different to the site Red!

Angus

Remember its not that hard to break records, they can only be set using certified line as members of a club, which is very few people except for the big charters!.

I have caught them regulary to 3 foot out of the brisbane river when I was a lad, I dont think that would be far short of that sort of weight.

Post edited by: Feral, at: 2006/09/24 17:16

Troy, The flathead catfish are very good eating. They may be the only catfish that are not scavengers. They mainly eat live bass,bream and others. Maybe that's the reason for their big mouths.

The best bait i've found is a small bream we have here.

[img size=393]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/_longearsun.jpg

post-356-144598401368_thumb.jpg

Monkfish are no beauties either but they're a sought after food fish in the North Atlantic, they love'em. We catch a few small ones here in the Gulf but I never tried eating one. Do you have them there?

They say; Sea angling tourism revenue from Monkfish and a few others is worth over 30 million to the Irish economy.

[img size=498]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/_Monkfish.jpg

post-356-144598401402_thumb.jpg

Andrew they look a little like a Flathead crossed with a Stargazer but they are about 20 times bigger.

Red i have seen them in the fish mongers in Scotland and am aware of the desirable eating quality. They go nuts for them in Japan as well. But yeah they love em in Scotland. Very nice white flesh.

Angus

They say; They're tagging and trying to save'em in Ireland. Looks like they've wiped out about everything else and don't have much left to choose from. Monkfish are supposed to be almost world wide, they may be Spotted Stargazers that migrate to the north when they get older. Many of the fish we have in the Gulf are double in size on the upper East Coast.

Here's a picture of a Monkfish in the Gulf.

[img size=450]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/_Monkfish2.jpg

post-356-14459840142_thumb.jpg

Your close boys but not quite right!

The \"Squatina\" monkfish are angel sharks, the \"Lophiidae\" family (goosefishes) appear to be anglerfishes and yet Kathetostoma giganteum of New Zealand just happens to belong to family \"Uranoscopidae\", like the Aussie Stargazers. Like a lot of fish names, Monkfish has a different meaning depending on what continent you live in, but the common genera of Kathetostoma between the Monkfish and Stargazers mentioned by old mate red gave the clue that at least some varieties are indeed related. :pinch: Just think \"Bass\" and \"Catfish\" in America:blink: Bass particulary vary a lot from our opinion of one!

Have a good weekend all, hope someone gets onto some fish and writes up a decent report for us:whistle:

Archived