snapper in the bay

Mack_attack

hey guys after fishing the bay for over 5 years now i am still to have caught a legal snapper. (my record is 34cm so close) i try to use the freshest baits, smallest sinkers and the appropriate tackle but still no luck. As i have a boat i was wondering where i can go and what i am doing wrong. Also any advice on tides or water depth would be greatly appreciated.

cheers, Jack

Post edited by: Mack_attack, at: 2006/09/24 12:20

Post edited by: Mack_attack, at: 2006/09/24 12:25

Hi Mate.

From my snapper fishing in the past from boat and rocks , I find you need to be fishing over a good reef, where they are .

There is more to it , like bait and tide , but try fishing somewhere where there is rocks and a bit of a reef.

Marek

Post edited by: stingray, at: 2006/09/24 12:20

• 5 weeks later...

We've caught 30 winter whiting before. We were trying to get live bait using bait jigs, for Cobia and Tuna etc. And we wern't getting many yakka's or herring, so my brother put a bit of squid on a small hook and pulled up a whiting. Another time we got nothing, but this time we had heap of yakka's, but the Tangalooma dolphine kept on eating them. we would cast out a livy, and then we would see the dolphina come over, dive down, the baitrunner reel would spin, the would stop, dolphine would come up and we would have no bait on the hook:angry: . Very annoy that we wasted our hard earned bait on a dolphine.

Last time i was fishing in the bay was with Brian.

No snapper but a lot of squire.

This was at Russell Island.

Although no snapper were caught im a big fan of the \"where there are small ones, there must also be big ones\". So maybe with some more live baits (our 3 livies were smashed and demolished that day) we could have landed some more. Either way, if you looking for squire East side of Russell aint bad :)

Angus

Angus wrote:

Last time i was fishing in the bay was with Brian.

No snapper but a lot of squire.

This was at Russell Island.

Although no snapper were caught im a big fan of the \"where there are small ones, there must also be big ones\". So maybe with some more live baits (our 3 livies were smashed and demolished that day) we could have landed some more. Either way, if you looking for squire East side of Russell aint bad :)

Angus

Actually it was Maclean Island

Archived