fraser island rig - suggestions

millerjo

Total length of 130lb plastic coated wire is 90cm. Usually tied to 2 - 3 metres of 80lb mono leader with 30lb main line. Circles are 8/0.

Might need to go a bit heavier for the ones at Fraser though.

Don't swim on the calm side at dusk night or dawn. ;) Have witnessed a monster tiger there about 5 metres from the dry sand. I was about 50 metres from the sand and wont forget the experience in a hurry (nor the speed I made it to shore:woohoo: ). That was between Mckenzies Jetty and Kingfisher (before Kingfisher was there though)

If you spend enough time overlooking the champagne pools you are likely to witness a few noahs cruising around there.

Haven't been back since about 5 years ago when I discovered the backpackers have ruined the place. [img size=483]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/sharkrig.JPG

post-564-144598446396_thumb.jpg

they certainly have runied fraser - it's not the same at all. dam rental 4wd's. towed a few of them out in my days up there and at double island.

in agreeance totally on the rig, i'd go better than 30lb myself coz i hate losing :P and live tailor are the absolute bomb as bait. dart do work on sharks but i have had some pleasent surprises or the mackeral variety fishing live tailor out the back of the break. always good for the barbie!!! :laugh: B) hook them high on the back above the lat line and through either the top or bottom jaw not both as they need to open mouth to breathe. sharks usually shallow things head first so always good to have a hook in the vicinity.

ellicat - you saw a 5m tiger and didn't try to chuck a bait in front of it? WHY????? :laugh: :P

benno573 wrote:

they certainly have runied fraser - it's not the same at all. dam rental 4wd's. towed a few of them out in my days up there and at double island.

in agreeance totally on the rig, i'd go better than 30lb myself coz i hate losing :P and live tailor are the absolute bomb as bait. dart do work on sharks but i have had some pleasent surprises or the mackeral variety fishing live tailor out the back of the break. always good for the barbie!!! :laugh: B) hook them high on the back above the lat line and through either the top or bottom jaw not both as they need to open mouth to breathe. sharks usually shallow things head first so always good to have a hook in the vicinity.

ellicat - you saw a 5m tiger and didn't try to chuck a bait in front of it? WHY????? :laugh: :P

I did when I got back to shore lol

Agree - a tailor would be a better livie, but a dart is almost a certainty for availability.

Archived