What is Dacron?

adri4n

Right, so the story is I'm having a shopping spree on ebay and decide to get some braid, I score 10lb spiderwire and since the seller combines shipping, I decide to buy 20lb braid as well. What I didn't notice/realise was that it was Dacron.

Now at first I thought it was the brand name... :blush: but now I realise its a totally different material. I was going to use it on my new trion 66 reel (baitcaster) so would that be alright?

I thought I already knew about all sorts of lines but I guess I've still got a lot to learn....

Hope this helps.

Dacron , trademark for a polyester fiber. Dacron is a condensation polymer obtained from ethylene glycol and terephthalic acid. Its properties include high tensile strength, high resistance to stretching, both wet and dry, and good resistance to degradation by chemical bleaches and to abrasion. The continuous filament yarn is used in curtains, dress fabrics, high-pressure fire hoses, men's shirts, and thread. The staple fiber is ideal for mixing with wool in men's and women's suits, as well as in dress fabrics, knitted wear, and washable woven sportswear.

It's a very good line to use. We and the other pro's up north used it all the time on our big reels. Still got some 80lb here in the shed, but its too heavy for here. Also doesn't knot up like some braids do . If it does tangle through the whole lot in the current and it'll come out itself , most times. Oh it floats also.

Oh well, since I've got it I might as well try it anyway, who knows.. I might like it. just wondering if its still a commonly used line, cos when I try to google it not much comes up and one site says it used to be popular for lure fishing but not anymore...

Archived