Camping around Jumpinpin?

Mack_attack

Myself, mozza and another friend are going for a camp from Monday to Wednesday around the Jumpinpin area. We haven't really decided which island to go on but ideally it would have some sort of deep water access ie. not a shallow sandbank wehere the boat will get stuck on when the tide goes out.B)

Does any one no if a permit is required to camp on one of the many bay islands around here? And if so where can we obtain one?:huh:

Ok here it is.... Couldnt get the search function to work so had to searc my 33 pages of posting headlines.

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&catid=33&id=61801#61801

Or my post

I am a pretty regular visitor over to South Straddie in the boat and often gone for a few days.

Quick rundown of it all for you and anyone else is as follows.

Great 4 lane ramp at Jacobs Well with parking, can get a bit full during summer months. Invest in a trailer lock ($25 locks car to trailer) and park against the wall near the camp grounds. Its under flood lights there and also has occupied cabins looking over the cars, so people are not too sure if the the car belongs to the people sitting on the deck of the cabin. There is no cost for parking or launching there.

Bait and tackle shop is right on the ramp and sells ice, there is also a bottle shop and small supermarket just across the road from the ramp for any last minute forgotten things.

It depends on where you camp on South Straddie as to whether you need to book and costs involved. Places like the Bedrooms and Tipplers advertised on this website
/>http://www.caravancampingnetwork.com...mpgrounds.html

say that there is a fee, and I suppose for electric BBQs and toilets there would be. Personally I camp just north of Pandanus Island on the sandy beach there. Only amenities there are rubbish bins. I think there may still be a fee to camp there ($17.50p/person pernight) but I never seem to be at camp when the ranger comes

Take a look at Nuggets map of Jumpinpin.

Also if you have Beacon to Beacon then take it or copy the relelvant pages as navigation can be a little tricky out there as you are running down stream from Jacobs Well towards Tipplers Island and then upstream once around the bend, so your beacons change sides. Its a great trap for young players.

Anchoring boats so they are always in the water can be a bit tricky with big tides. I use a 75mtr anchor rope which is fashioned in such a way that I can drag the boat in and out using it while the anchor remains 20 metres or so away from the bank. PM me and I can explain it if you want.

Hope thats of some help to you... Enjoy your time out there and I am looking at getting my hands on a AFO Flag somehow to hoist when at camp as others are more than welcome to come and say hello.

Yep sure is. Not a huge fan of Crusoe Island due to an encounter with a slithery kind there. But on a plus Crusoe is good for 'deep water frontage'.

I have attached a map showing where I camp marked in red with an arrow there. Not sure whether the 'beach bar' is still set up there, but it was a table built in the sand along there that is a good hang out.

I have never had a problem with anyone even looking like they are going to pinch any gear, nor heard about it, but I dont venture too far away in the boat with the full camp up.

No permits required for Crusoe that I know of.

And in brief anchor out deep with a pully on end of anchor chain. Line then basically runs in a big loop with a few turns around your front bollard and attached to rear handle. Pull rope in clockwise direction to pull rope out towards anchor, pull rope in an anti clockwise direction to pull boat back to shore to board.... works a treat! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NuggetsMap_AFO-44039b5e6f61a479e4f99f4d6cbec5f9.jpg

post-1481-144598449261_thumb.jpg

Feral wrote:

I hope he is not allergic.

I sort of am, when I get to many bites I itch really badly for two weeks, not on the bites, but it starts at the ankles and slowly works its way up my legs then on to my back over the two week period. Drives me nuts.

Where's it drive them to:P :laugh:

when you are going camping in places full of sandflies a day before you go start taking anti-histamine tablets and keep taking them till a couple of days after you get back and you will not have aqny problem with the bites

no prescription needed for the polaramine tabs i use they are over the counter

Archived