Baroon Pocket 30th September 2006

Angus

Well James and i decided to yak Baroon all day in search of Bass and maybe even a Mary River Cod.

We found the bass! :P

We launched the Yaks at dawn from the Maleny boat ramp. It was an amazing morning with so much mist on the water you could ahrdly see 5 meters. Absolutely beautiful way to start day. I began as i usually do trolling my Halco Laer Pro while James cast a Spinner Bait at some lillypads. Within about 30mins of launching i already bagged two nice bass and James one. The score would remain tight like this all day!

Next i used my SX40 and James put on a Tassie Devil. My SX40 produced one Bass and The Tassie produced a fiesty little Spangled Perch. We then paddled to \"Cod Beach\". The beach looked particually nice as it was sorrounded by some decent structure. Here i landed one Spangled perch on the SX40 and James managed another Bass on a Spinner Bait.

We then Paddled some larger lures right across the basin in the hope that a large Yellowbelly or Cod might have a go. Sadly this was not to be. The next session saw us trolling along a great stretch where James caught 2 more bass. I also caught 2 more bass here and dropped another two. The lures doing teh damage were Halco Laser Pro's and Scropions.

We stopped for lunch. Never wanting to have a line out of the water we caught some shrimps with out hands and cast them out unweighted while sat back and had a well earned rest (we had nearly completely circumnavigated the dam by this stage of the day)! After about five mins sitting on out buts James rod bends over double and screams off. After a short but massive fight whatever it was took him into the lillypads and busted him off. The look on his face was so sad. It was certainly no bass the way it hugged the bottom leaving us to conclude maybe the larger Yellow or Cod we had been dreaming of. Oh well. Next time.

The next leg took us into an inlet which was by far the most scenic location of the day. As well as the most memorable for me. I decided to try a new lure i was not really sure how to use, a Berkley Bibless Frenzy Rattler. This produced in the space of about 15mins the two biggest bass of the day and my biggest ever going 43cm. James also managed two nice fish here, one Bass on a Spinnerbait (the spinnerbait was sadly lost here as well) and one bass to a tassie devil.

It was getting late s we decided to start paddling back. James wanted to trooll all the way home. Good call by him! I only manged a fat Spangled Perch but James secures 4 Bass giving him late win. Oh well an amazing 12 hours spent on the water.

Final Score.

Angus. 7 Bass, 2 Spangled Perch.

James. 11 Bass, 1 Spangled Perch.

A total of 21 fish for the day on lures. Not a bad effort i say.

Angus

Excellent trip guys. Baroon Pocket is only 40 min from my place and i've never fished it. I've paddled on it, and thinking back there are some great looking spots there. If I'm north of Gympie again when you ring me next time I'm gonna turn around and come back! hehe.

Good to see that little inlet with all the trees in it is stillunder water! last time I was there the sounder was showing only 10 foot, so it is definately only for when the dam is near full. I reckon this are would be hot for Yella's when the dam is full, (provifding there are any left in there, quite a few years since Yella's were stocked!)

Its a pity that other inlet west of the Rangers house is off limits to fishing, it has some fantastic structure in it!

Yeah Feral i was thinking about the Yellas as well.

I looked at the charts, it was 1992 since the last stocking.

A stack where released though. They would be big fellas now if there were any left!

Whatever hit James on the bait was not a Bass. So we were thinking Yella or big Tandanus.

Feral you fish the dam a bit, have you ever got anythign otehr than a Bass or Spangled?

Angus

No Bass and Spangled has been it. But I did want to get a cod, but after seeing them out at Glenlyon, I reckon when they say the Cod stocking was not successful, I suspect they all died or something.

Out at Glenlyon, there were 2m cod trying to get downstream all congreagating at the dam wall, ( and as Mary River Cod are in fact Murray River Cod, just been seperated for 50000 years, but virtually identical genetically) I reckon if there any in there we would have seen them near the dam wall doing the same thing at some stage!

I reckon they need some other food species in the dam to sustain yella's and Cod, like boney bream or gar. Would help the Bass get bigger to!

Feral i agree thre would not be many however there were two guys James and i ran into last time.

They fish the dam all the time. In fact one of the guy runs the fishing department at Maroochdore Amart.

Anyway they use a paddle canoe and have seen Mary River on the surface a few times. I fugre they eat the prolfic Spangled Population. There was one bay James and i went into that had literally hundreds of spangleds in view. All about 15cm. Theres your food source!

However im sure the numbers are very limited. It is still a goal of mine to get a yellow or cod out of there though.

Angus

Angus wrote:

Yeah Feral i was thinking about the Yellas as well.

I looked at the charts, it was 1992 since the last stocking.

A stack where released though. They would be big fellas now if there were any left!

Whatever hit James on the bait was not a Bass. So we were thinking Yella or big Tandanus.

Feral you fish the dam a bit, have you ever got anythign otehr than a Bass or Spangled?

Angus

I would'nt doubt that it could be a bass Angus. I've been absolutely smoked by what I suspect was a big bass luring from the canoe at Twin Bridges.:sick:

• 4 weeks later...

Archived