new zealand fishing

rumrunner

hi guys and gals!

im heading ova to NZ on thursday for a fishing and outdoor adventure,

we have hired out a winnabago van and we will be traveling around the sth island for a few weeks lloking for good land based fishing spots!

my question is this!

does anyone know any good land based fishing spots on the sth island of NZ?

or anywhere you have caught a fish land based in NZ sth?

im landing in christchurch and we are heading down to asburton to see the family then heading back up through chr ch and then on to kaikora where i hear the fish are a plenty!:) fish there a while then on to malbrough sounds, to the spit far north, then down the west coast and ova the mountains heading back to ashburton!

wish me luck guys and i will make sure to take plenty of pics and do a nice report when i get back!;)

cheers Ian

some of the best fishing ive ever done was in nz chasing the trout and salmon. take some of your own lures and stuff because i think their fishing gear is a bit behind...

find a spill way and carefully fish around that, the fish congregate in enormous numbers there and you will catch ten times as many fish there as anywhere else.

Good luck!

Jordan wrote:

some of the best fishing ive ever done was in nz chasing the trout and salmon. take some of your own lures and stuff because i think their fishing gear is a bit behind...

find a spill way and carefully fish around that, the fish congregate in enormous numbers there and you will catch ten times as many fish there as anywhere else.

Good luck!

thanks Jordan!!

im getting exited now!:woohoo:

do the trout and salmon only take fly's or do they hitt hb's and sp's?

im going to take a few surface lures and a few hb's for the salt water but i will give them a try in a few fresh water spots aswell to try my luck!

Dan! i will lett you know for sure mate!;)

cheers Ian.

yea the only lures they use over there are flies (which i had no idea how to use) and metal spoons and tassie devil look alikes. if i ever go back again id be keen to try some hardbodies (sx48's?) and some plastics, im sure they would have to be so much more effective than the simple spoons they sell there. take a whole heap of different things and see how you go. the most effective lure i found was the black and gold spoon lures.

NZ also has exceptional Snapper and Yellow Tail King Fish fishing amongst other bit salties.

Bay of Islands on the north island is apparantly a good spot for this.

But I have been to believe that most west facing coastline towns/cities would offer opportunities.

Regards

Angus

cheers bro!:P

thanks Angus, Jordan and Nossman for the info!

i will be hitting the west and east coast putting all my bait fishing knowlage to work for sure but also i will definatly be taking all my lures now! and i might even grab a few newbies? maybe a tassie devil or two and a coupple of jackle cranks and chubbies and give those fresh spillways a go!

does anyone know what the surface lures that zig zag on the water are called? iv'e seen them on a bass comp vidio!

cheers Ian

When I was there in Feb/mar. This is what they were using for Trout, also a varity of SPs in your box wont go astray.Good snapper can be caught off most headlands and bays.

If the $$ stretch go on a offshore charter Fullday is between $90-150 depending on the boat & how many it carries.

Pleanty of good places to fish ,so have fun. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/NZ_Holiday__2008-121ef59e65f204ae6c42337e9b978f4e.jpg

post-742-144598454324_thumb.jpg

Archived