Kingscliff, Mangrove Jack heaven!!!

chubbstar

Fish caught, Bream rangeing from Fiddy's to 32cm at least 50+.

Trevally had yellow fins? 20-25cm caught 10+ and top little fighters.:)

Flathead from 10-54cm caught 10+.

Mangove Jacks!!!! Landed 1 39cm dropped at least 6.

Now the story, I Started fishing early Saturday morning around 5am. I fished under the Pacific hwy bridge at Fingal useing frozen Prawns, SP's and HB's. The amount of Bream under this bridge is amazing. In my first 2hours of fishing I used a full bag of Prawns, Bare in mind I used SP's and HB's during this 2 hours:blink: .

I was casting out in the open for a lot of little fish. I thought I would start casting at the Pilon of the bridge and see what would happen. First cast I got totally smashed, Nice strong fish pulling like a train got it close to the bank and seen RED!!:ohmy: Oh crap it's a friggen Jack:woohoo: Then the hook flys out of the water and nearly took my eye out. FU#*:angry: !!!

Had a smoke to settle down a bit:blush: And pinged another cast into the pilon. Tap tap tap bang, a nice little fight and I land a Trevally:) After a few more casts and fish I got a call from the missus to come back to the hotel.

After doing the family thing for most of the day I managed to sneak back down to the bridge for a arvo session;) More of the same Bream and Trevally for a while. I hooked up again to a very strong fish that bricked me into the oysters on the pilon, it totaly shreaded my 8lb leader and was gone. Time to go home:(

This morning I headed to the bridge again, I started with a River2Sea popper, first cast and I had some good swirls behind the lure:blink: , I have never caught anything on popper before and seeing the swirls I got a bit excited, I started pulling the popper in to fast and the fish lost interest:( . It would have had a go 3 or 4 times in that retrieve, but didn't touch the lure once:S , after that I had no more interest in the popper from fish.

I baited up and started harassing the local Bream again, when I got hit by something with a bit more life. It started pulling drag and after a good fight I spotted Red again:woohoo: You're mine this time byotch!!! When ping leader gets biten through.:angry: grrrooogggghhh fffuuuu

***KKKK!!!! I spat it hard grabbed my 50 lb leader out of my bag and started tying it onto my 6lb braid:blink: , Then I thought WTF are you doing Jayson 50lb leader on 6lb braid:blink: :blush: I sat back had a laugh at myself and went to 12lb leader. Caught more Bream and gave up at that spot.

Long story Short, Stoped at a sand bank and had a ball catching Flathead 1 after the other. Moved again to a rock wall that had trees at each end good deep snaggy water about 3meters out from the wall and then sand. There was Bream, Flathead and finally after a couple more Jacks lost, My NSW First Mangrove Jack landed:woohoo: :woohoo: I gave it a kiss:kiss: and sent it back home. My leader was absolutely stuffed and I was lucky to get it in. More fish landed and dropped, Phone rang (was the missus) Time to go home.

Sorry no pic's.:(

Jayson

Dan23 wrote:

Awesome mate and don't be afraid to use 80lb leader lol you need it to land those bastards.:)

LOL after talking to one of the Team G-Loomis guys at the weigh in today, he said when he fishs for jacks he uses his bream gear. quite often 2 or 4lb leader. sometimes 8lb if he is getting dusted to much. he said the more you pull the more they pull. if you play the fish he wont do you in. I have to say i partly agree with him in this one. after fishing for jacks for years we never had to go past 12lb line to land them 90% of the time. He said he catches jacks up to 45-50cm on bream gear quite regulary when he targets them.

Thanks guys, I wasn't expecting Jack's down there, I thought they had all gone out to sea:huh: I freaked when I saw that Red flash in the water:blink: Great fun!!!!

I have a camera WWolf, Batteries were on charge on the first day and forgot the bloody thing today:blush: Believe me I would have loved to have had a pic with it for my Avtar.

Thanks for your advice Dan, I love the thrill of fighting these babys on lite gear. Very frustrating when you loose them though, but thats fishing;) Please dont get me wrong though mate,each to there own;) Last thing I want is to start another debate on heavy v's lite.:dry:

Jayson

Thats the one mate, I fished the southern side. It's a very popular spot. There's an old bridge about 40-50 meters long beside it. I had a cast under it with a SP and got busted off. There was to many Oysters under it and my leader kept finding them:(

Would love to spend a week down there. A very fishable system.

Jayson

Great story Chubbstar !!

Sounds like ya had a bloody awesome time mate!!

Didn't know that stretch of water fished so well!

I'll have to get up there soon and have a fish !!

I haven't got myself a jack yet..so it certainly sounds like the place to go!!

But after your story i'll upsizing my leader !!

Cheers mate well done !!

This is the best I could do. I marked an X at Faulk Park far right of the page, While I was there some one caught (Talk of the town) a Giant Trevally on 15lb line that is supposed to be a new world record:blink: Also 2 Jew at 15kg in the same area, Like I said it was the local talk of the town.

[img size=357]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/scan0001_AFO-9a17a5d1c5653084d9ed51dec8f331aa.jpg

If, Na "WHEN" I win the $40 million tomorrow night, I'm gunna buy a AFO holidy home down there;)

Jayson

post-1458-144598455502_thumb.jpg

Archived