River Heads Long Weekend

Stinger

Went to River Heads over the long weekend intending to chase some big flattie.

Wind was up on Friday arvo coming done the Mary River so couldn't fish the southern banks of the river mouth.

Moved into the Sussane River out of the wind.

Started out with soft plastics but only had a few small touches so got a hold of a few live herring and started to get some better hits.

Caught a few small cod and flatties in the mouth of the sussane river until the sand flies started to swarm on dusk so we called it a day.

Saturday ended up being a better day once we chased up some herring for live bait. Fished on the rock bar at the mouth of the Mary river and kept getting bitten off. Finaly went for heavier leader and found out that it was small macks that were doing the damage.

While we were out there in the morning there was plenty of action with a large Barra jumping just over from us but unfortunately not hooked to any of our lines. Turtles galore and eagle rays leaping out of the water next to the boat as well as the usual water snakes swimming past.

Saturday arvo we anchored up in the mouth of the Sussane river with baitfish and prawns getting smashed all around the boat. As soon as we cast out a livy it would get hit. Managed to land a few Cod and a nice 60cm flatty. The action only went for a 30 minutes before the wind changed direction, the bait fish and prawns disappeared and the bites stopped dead.

This area looks to have some great territory and I for one will be going back for another look. [img size=495]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Small_Mack.jpg

post-1250-144598455427_thumb.jpg

Ellicat

There were plenty of boats out but the area is so large with access to the Mary and Sussane rivers as well as to the bay that there was defiately no problem with other boats on the water however the 2 lane boat ramp on the inside and the single lane one on the outside have oyster rocks up to the edges.

Angus

The area would be great for your style of fishing with plenty of small creeks comming into the rivers that I am told hold some bi flatty, barra, large cod.

A lot of these creeks I wouldn't be able to get my boat into but with a kayak I think there would be great fishing to be had not to mention the scenery.

Jeff f

Didn't go to far up the Sussan River as we didn't know the channel. Managed to find plenty of shallow water so only went as far as the first little creek at the end of the island past where the boats anchor up.

Maybe we should have had a look at the northern side of the island I presume this is the way to go as there were boats further up the river.

Archived