Speargun

Jordan

Hi guys,

over the last weekend i had another trip to hervey bay (yet to do a report!) and i bought myself a snorkle set and hand spear. i have been to the great barrier reef and i am dead serious the coral there was just as good if not better in some spots than up north. i bought a hand spear and had a ball with the moses pearch and drummer, so much so that i am looking at buying a speargun for my next trip up there (possibly next weekend). with the hand spear i couldnt nail the larger snapper and trout that constantly swam just out of reach, unlike the defensive perch so im looking at buying the gun. any suggestions on a gun under 200 bucks and that is powerful enough to get those reefies in close range? i dont want anything to powerfull... there are some cheapish ones on ebay im looking at.

Jordan

i made a hand spear out of some dowell and a piece of steel rod i put a barb into. it works really well.

as for guns,i personally dont like them because of teh extra time it takes to reload etc etc, much easier to just grab the spear and pull back and fire ;)

spear fishing is more about stealth than distance. learn to hold your breath for ages, wear a weight belt and sit dead still on the bottom. if you are down there for a few minutes at a time (it's not that hard to learn how) near some likely looking structure you will come across something eventually. either that or just anchor your yak over the reef and fish for them. :P

Jordan wrote:

where abouts do you use it? do you do pretty well with it?

ive used it in parts of tweed river where its legal and also other places

so far just flatties and i almost got a few trevs with it but boy are they quick haha.

i might have to come up to hervey bay to 'visit the grandparents' cough cough fishing :P

yea benno that actually sounds right, i should have thought about that before lol. there are some aaaaawesome coral gorge kind of things down there that are easy to pin the fish against so waiting in one of those would be great id say.

yea fishyman its unreal, and would be a great place to really give your spear a test

na i dont have one of those, i dont want to go to over the top with that at the moment, more worried about a wetsuit actually because it was friggan FREEZING holy shit it was cold. have you done it before? i would love to go with someone who actually knows what they are doing and nail some reefies.

i used to do it up in gladstone on the reefs out there a bit, before it got banned in most places. used to get a bit too, but got sick of fish and usually went after the crays instead. :laugh: a wetsuit is cumbersome and make movement much more difficult, just go with a cup of harden the f up!!! i spent 2 hrs snorkelling at tangalooma on monday, it wasn't that bad!!! i would love to come up this weekend with ya but am totally booked solid both days.

there's no exact science to it, just got with stealth, no really sudden movements and don't under any circumstances hang in the water with a bleeding fish. even small reef sharks will attack you if you are holding one, they might not be big but they still have serious teeth. if you see anything bigger get the hell outa there quick smart.

yea right... i diddnt think it would be such a problem at gatakers because it was such a shallow reef and theres nowhere to put them really... i was just putting them in my flipper bag...

are there any spearfishing spots in brisbane? or are they all pretty protected?

Jordan, I'm a mad keen spearo, for guns under 200 have a look at undersea. I make my own wooden guns using undersea components(handgrip and trigger etc.), I'll post some pics up tomorrow and if your keen I'll let you try one out and if you like you can buy one. I'll show you where you can fish around close Legally. Also get yourself some freediving flippers(they are about 1 metre long) and a weightbelt.

And like Benno said Stealth, don't go chasing the fish, sneak around or find a hiding spot and stay still, you only get one shot. I hold my breath for about 2min 25sec and can get down to about 50metres

as for sharks if you are not fishing out of a boat that you can put your catch in staight away, then attach a float to about 15m of cord/rope and attach that to your gun with a stringer so you can put your fish on the rope and it(fish) will go to the float that way any sharks will more likely go your fish at the float 15m away. I've done this and the sharks will steal your fish then leave. Just make sure the catch is dead not still moving.

Also carry a sharp knife that is easily accessible in case you get tangled in snagged fishing line or your float line etc.

Matt

50M Bommie that's awesome! How do you stop your eardrums from hurting?? I go to about 5-10M when snokelling but cant seem to get any futher than that because of the pain. I can hold my breath for 2mins. I equalise as much as possible by blowing out my nose into the mask but i still cant get anywhere near 15M let alone 50! any tips?

Joel ;)

Obone, I hold my nose(squeezei it) then try and blow out of it until my ears pop, I have to do this every 7 to 10m on the way down. I used to be able to hold my breath longer but havn't been out alot lately and if you don't keep practicing your times drop. Its all about getting your heart rate right down(mmmmm calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean):)

If you are diving deep always dive with someone if possible much safer eg. shallow water blackout

Matt

bommie thats awesome id love to team up with you one day. i beat three of the roosters footy team in a breath holding competition when i met about 10 of them at the marriot once. we had to carry a boulder as far as possible underwater :P :p

how often do you go?

Jordan wrote:

bommie thats awesome id love to team up with you one day. i beat three of the roosters footy team in a breath holding competition when i met about 10 of them at the marriot once. we had to carry a boulder as far as possible underwater :P :p

how often do you go?

not as often as I would like lately, last summer the weather was crap the days availble for me to go so none was done then:angry: , but now that winter is coming there should be good weather for it, just the freezing cold water.

I let you know of the next trip, and I'll put those pics of the guns up soon (just have to take the photo's)

Matt

just like to add that I'm a responsible spearo who follows the code of conduct strictly as set out by AUF, who in the past have spent over $130,000(court costs etc.) in saving areas from closure for both line and spear fishing. Also proving that alot of studies conducted by different groups contain false information.

haha yea batty thatd be something different. cant wait to get back up to hervey bay and hit those reefs again, they are like nothing else!!! and to kayak out there to the reel reefs instead of the ones 10m's offshore would produce some awesome fish im sure!!

Jordan wrote:

Hi guys,

over the last weekend i had another trip to hervey bay (yet to do a report!) and i bought myself a snorkle set and hand spear. i have been to the great barrier reef and i am dead serious the coral there was just as good if not better in some spots than up north. i bought a hand spear and had a ball with the moses pearch and drummer, so much so that i am looking at buying a speargun for my next trip up there (possibly next weekend). with the hand spear i couldnt nail the larger snapper and trout that constantly swam just out of reach, unlike the defensive perch so im looking at buying the gun. any suggestions on a gun under 200 bucks and that is powerful enough to get those reefies in close range? i dont want anything to powerfull... there are some cheapish ones on ebay im looking at.

Jordan

better than the reefs up north??thats a big call jordan...

yea i know, ive been up there heaps of times, they are just like plateus in the middle of the ocean up there but at hervey bey theres just huuuge mazes of the plate coral and theres brain corals there bigger than my dining table at home, its just incredible...

Archived