Sharkin' Gear

Ash

I was thinking of buying a rod and reel for the sole purose of sharking. Im hoping to get into serious sharking, so im kinda talking bay etc.

What do poeple recommend firstly for thr rod and reel, and secondly for line.

id say for line anything 40lb is plenty.... a rod, preferably with at least a roller tip is good. you can get one like this far cheeper then in tackle stores off ebay as i do... as for reel go for sumthin that stores around 300-350m of 50lb... thats more then enough to fight an 8footer from a boat... maybe not for land based...

troy

IMO:

You should get something that matches the weight class of your reel. If you get a 50lbs reel, no point in getting an 80lbs rod.

as for reel, I'm looking at getting a 50W, as it stores more like than a normal 50lb. (about 650yards of 50lbs line I think).

and of course, 50lbs line. that's most likely what I'll get

mate, in the bay if you are doing serious land absed game u will need around 80lb line, the harmon brothers both use 100lb which in my opinion is a bit of an over kill. And u will need between 200-400lb trace wire. Im getting my setup at the end of the year and its going to cost me around $600. im thinking of getting a cheap penn combo for now.

dave

depends how heavy ur chasing, u could esily get away with a Shimano tld 25 with 50lb line that will set you back under $200 for a reel and im not to sure about rods. but as i said im chasing bigger things next year som im going alot heavier. Hopefully set a few records on this site.

dave

thanks dave,

yeah i only need about 50-60 lb with probly a shimano tld herd alot of reports about them,

i wanna have a look around on the market tho for other reels,

and also i dont wanna get to much into shark fsihng, as plastics is my type of fsihng and i need to practis for abt even and other comps

Geez boys why do you need such heavy gear? I manage quite well with 15 pound line on a relatively light rod(6-9kg). I find that as long as your drag is in good condition and you have an excellent trace your home and hosed! But suppose i was catching whiting not sharks... JOKES

Good luke with your fishing fellas!

Tim

Archived