This ones for ASH

hey mate i dunno if you are still interested in a shark rod but ive got some prices that might interest you. I rang up BFC yesturday and inquired about some shark rods (the guy behind the phone was a really dick but he was helpfull never the less). I dunno what your budget is but these are the rods that you can get for under $200. You can buy a penn combo sorry i cant remember the name for $80, saying that you wont get the best rod or reel. But it will land river sharks like the ones troy, ando and jordan get. That combo is 10-15kg rod, so thats more then plenty. Allthough if you want to go a bit better quality and handling theres the Penn GTO 220 & 330, the 220 is $129 and it has a 2 speed lever drag and a few extra nick nacks and the 330 houses alot more refined features then the 220. the combo cost $180. I think they throw in a free gimble belt aswell but i cant remember. These prices are the normal prices but im not to sure what discount you will get if you are a bcf member, also tobecome a bfc member it costs you nothing just fill some stuff in.

dave

Thanks Dave. Im already a member there so i might have a look and see what club discounts (if any!) i get. I know the BCF at Cannon Hill usually gives slight discounts on most stuff if you flash you member card and charmingly at the check out person.

The rods you're talking about are they over heads or spinners?

yeh mate terry's right they are over heads but if u have a bdu (Bait Deployment unit) aka a small boat or canoe etc etc it shouldnt be be a hassle or u can let heaps of line out and throw you bait that works equally as well. Im getting a GTO 330 in about 3weeks. I might head out to brettswharf and do an over nighter. allthough depends how cold it gets.

dave

with an over head u can fit more line on the reel and u also have alot more control the main disadvantage is you cannot cast them, well thats a lie my mates can do it but it doesnt go far. The advantages of a spinner is u can cast them, the dissadvantage is you cannot cast them. like you could go a heavy spinner but it would cost you alot more. and u wont fit as much line on.

dave

I disagree ando! An eggbeater style (a spinner) is far easier to cast, and if you are landbased like me, that is a major plus. For the run-of-the-mill sharks in the Bris. R. the 15 pound line I use is OVERKILL. They are pretty slack athletes! I've read post's on Ausfish that say 4 footers are still easily managable on 15 lb. Probably more so in boat, but I wouldn't wanna hook the bitie you boys got the other night on 15!

As far as a reel goes for being \"suitable\" for sharking, yes a reasonable size overhead is going to have a sweater drag (by virtue of larger diameter washers) than a spinner.

My Diawa Samurai-7i 4000 holds 190m of 14 pound line, and if you loose that much of that class line, you are stuffed if you are on shore... This rod is mated to a 7ft Uglystick classed 4 - 10kg. The Diawa also has 7 ball bearings and a slick drag. Its nice! All up this setup was just over $200

As far as wanting more line??? Maybe if you are targeting the big boys, but really mate most small sharks are going way more fun on lighter gear, and you are going to catch more with lighter line and shorter finer trace. Sure you risk getting dusted, but you might miss a lot of hits otherwise. For trace I use 1 foot of 40 pound heat-weld wire (I crimp + twist + melt) and haven't had a prob (I have only caught sub 3 footers though!). Fishing light = more fun:)

OH and I also own a lovely ABU overhead that I'm in love with. But I pull out my Samurai over it for shore sharking everytime.

But make your own mind up dude, if you are a pro with an overhead, go with it! Otherwise, just think about your bait size and how much easy it would be to cast with a spinner!

The way I see it:

If it's just the brisbane river you're going, then you won't need anything too massive. But, if you want to go anywhere (beaches etc) and drop a bait 100 or so metres out, and then catch a big shark, you'll want something a lot bigger. That is, 500,600+ metres of 50+lbs line. This would be on an overhead reel, as spinners don't store this much.

Edit; and if this is for your shark rod, and you want to catch decent size sharks, don't even consider casting it out. It's simply not plausible to haul a whole fish into the air and expect it to go anywhere. Unless you use very heavy line, and a metal pole that doesn't bend. I tried casting a whole fully grown bony bream once.. on 20lbs line.. lol

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/01 17:46

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/01 17:47

Feral wrote:

TerryH wrote:
The way I see it:

If it's just the brisbane river you're going, then you won't need anything too massive. But, if you want to go anywhere (beaches etc) and drop a bait 100 or so metres out, and then catch a big shark, you'll want something a lot bigger. That is, 500,600+ metres of 50+lbs line. This would be on an overhead reel, as spinners don't store this much.

Hey thats side caste country!

Cant go past the old Alvey 650, about 800m of 15 or 20lb.

But can your Alvey cast out 3-4metres of wire trace, a whole fish, and a decent sized sinker to hold it down? Also, 20lbs line wouldn't be strong enough for a big shark; you'd almost never tire him (or her) out! One reason to use heavier line is so you can tire the shark out, before bringing it in.

In the end, it all depends on how serious Ash wants to be. If he's after some big sharks, then he'll need heavy line, and lots of it because they can make runs in the hundreds of metres.

Thing is, whilst I wouldn't put down the alvey for the majority of fish, when targetting some big games, you need big gear.

Guys im all for lite fishing.

However, the currents we face at our fave Salmon and Bully locations are ridiculous.

16 oz snapper leads are often used just to keep a bait out. (and even then the current can drag them).

Due to the simple ammount of lead and then add a 30-40cm luderick or mullet as bait, and these heavy outfits are required.

It might not be quite as good of a fight, but its the only way to get a fight.

Trust me this has been trialed and errored by Jordan and Troy for well over a year to get right.

Angus.

• 2 weeks later...

bah, I'd go up to 4, 5 feet with my big spinner:P The only problem with my spinner is I can't drop the bait out 100m and still expect to let the shark run with it any further than about 20 metres.

But when purchasing, it all depends on where you want to go, and what you're after. Obviously a 10' shark is going to require at least 50lbs and lots of it. I read in a couple of places that some big sharks (ok, not so much in the river, but at beaches etc) can make runs of 250+metres. Add the fact your bait is already out 80-100m, and there's 300-400m of line out! I'd definitely want a lot more line in reserve.

But yeah Ash, think about what you want to catch, where you want to catch it, and how you want to catch it.

well it seriously depends what your chasing, i was talking to marrek and he fishes 80lb out of a tld 25, he said he has been spolled many times at sandgate. Like no matter how heavy you go you are going to get spooled. I think if you are going to chase big sharks you just have to turn the head, thats what i do when i chase the 3 ft'ers. I fyou can get that head turn u should be set, cause itzs guna be hard for them to turn around again.

dave

Marrek is using the wrong line for that reel. Or the wrong reel for that line (which ever you pick) The Shimano TLD25 is NOT designed for use with 80lbs line, and won't be able to hold much 80lb.

If he wants to use 80lbs line, he should get size 80 game reel, or at least a Tiagra 50WLRS, which has a drag system designed for 80 lbs line.

The Max Drag at FULL position with the TLD 25 is 22 lbs. (good for 60 lbs line)

The Max Drag at Strike Position with the TLD 25 is 17lbs (good for 50 lbs line)

Then, we have the line:

600 yards of 30lbs (548 metres)

450 yards of 40lbs (411 metres)

350 yards of 50lbs (320 metres)

I'd hate to see what the capacity is with 80lbs! that'd be about 150-200 metres I think!

Let's sum that up: 150-200metres of 80lbs line, and essentially it's only 40lbs if at strike position, with the drag set on full. OR 60lbs when at full drag in the full position.

I would assume he's running at the strike position, so even if he had it at full drag, it would be 150-200metres of essentially 40lbs line.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/15 15:31 <- This was to include metres in the line capacity

2nd Edit is to change (good for 40 lbs line to 50lbs)

Please note: that although it can handle that much tension, it's not designed for it and shouldn't exactly be run at that.

All figures were obtained from Shimano's website.

As for ASH: this is a clear illustration as to why you need to get the right sized reel for what you want to do:)

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/15 15:44

oh yeah i dont think that a tld 25 should have anything over 30lb. With the rod im getting it holds 450m of 30lb and between 330 and 350m of 50lb depending on line width. You only need to deploy your baits about 40m off the beach. If a shark pics it up there, let it run said 40m thats only 80m and then i doubt it would do a none stop 370m run, if you know what i mean. Im only going for 70kg whalers so i wont need to worry about 50wide reels. Also terry did u get your okuma - titus gold for river fishing?

dave

BIG DAVE 1 wrote:

oh yeah i dont think that a tld 25 should have anything over 30lb. With the rod im getting it holds 450m of 30lb and between 330 and 350m of 50lb depending on line width. You only need to deploy your baits about 40m off the beach. If a shark pics it up there, let it run said 40m thats only 80m and then i doubt it would do a none stop 370m run, if you know what i mean. Im only going for 70kg whalers so i wont need to worry about 50wide reels. Also terry did u get your okuma - titus gold for river fishing?

dave

It's an Okuma Titus, not the gold. It will get most of it's work in the rivers, but come summer, I'll definitely be giving the beaches a shot:)

Archived