Rainbow Beach Waters

Smithy

Just got back from Tin Can Bay. Customer Keith wanted to check out how the Stabi went as he was looking at one and he lives at Gympie so the waters off the bar up there will be his home waters. The bar wasn't really a test but we had to punch a bit of a short sharp easterley swell. He paid a bit more because I had to cover my towing up and back but we did pretty good with just his 21y.o. Amy and him aboard. All these from just one spot seven miles off the bar and we didn't move off it all day and they bit all day. Good for me cause I didn't use much fuel and good for the customers cause it was nearly all fishing and not much shifting and re-anchoring or redrifting. The best four fish came on plastics. Two Snapper around 74cm, the Cobia and the Longtail that also came off the bottom. I am surprised more people don't want to fish up there. I've had a few tyre kickers but this is the first trip that has come off for me.

dihaul2.jpg

benno573 wrote:

looks like an awesome trip smithy! what's the fish on the bottom right directly above the moses and it's tail is under the sweetlip? looks a bit like a snapper but is a funny shape? :huh:

Benno i was looking at that as well. Looks like a pink Tarwhine :P

But im pretty certain its just a pinkey/squire at the slightly bent angle something.

Angus

Smithy

I am heading up there this weekend! Taking the Yak! Do you think it is to far and or the conditions would be to hectic for a yak?

I will be yakking in the esturies inside the mouth but if I could I would venture out further.

Please let me know

Cheers

Batty

batman wrote:

Smithy

I am heading up there this weekend! Taking the Yak! Do you think it is to far and or the conditions would be to hectic for a yak?

I will be yakking in the esturies inside the mouth but if I could I would venture out further.

Please let me know

Cheers

Batty

Batty,

I don't want to underestimate your ability but I think 7 miles would be well outside the range you should be attempting at this point. I think you'll find most fishing yakers won't think of it especially with the swells and the rips you can get that far offshore.

As a side note if you were going more than 2 nautical miles offshore you would need to have an Epirb, a PFD1 (not just a PFD2 we yakers usually use) and probably a marine radio. Check the marine transport website and make sure .. thats just off the top of my head.

Lazy!

Yes I couldn't agree more with you.

I will keep to the esturies around Tin Can Bay and beach fish at the mouth and on the beach.

I am used to deep sea paddeling around Noosa, if you are going to get into trouble I would rather do it at Noosa as most winds will push you towards shore eventualy.....Rainbow is a lot wilder by th looks of it.

I have a Marine Radio attached to my PFD, my PFD is top of the range not just the skinny ones. I have a light and whistle attached...I don't take short cuts when it comes to saftey gear and have a huge respect for the sea.

Batty

Some more pics back.

DSC00152.jpg

DSC00151.jpg

DSC00157.jpg

DSC00170.jpg

Yep it is a Frying Pan Snapper in that pic.

I have had my 12' Barra punt through Wide Bay Bar but the best bet for Yaking would be to launch in the DI Pt lagoon then fish Double Island Pt itself as well as Wolf Rock Pinnacles. Wolf Rock is out of bounds now of course.

Smithy

Hope you don't mind me piggy backing your report but it was a short sweet trip for me!

I arrived Friday and camped up at the Rainbow Beach waters caravan park. For anyone wanting to stay up that way it is a 23 hectare camping ground with hot showers the lot! I have to say that I was very impressed with the service and friendliness of the people running the joint - big raps!

I had a mate and his 9 years old son coming down from Kilkevan and at late notice a mate of his and young son joined in to. I borrowed a cheapy yak from a mate and we launched on the tin can bay side for a bit of a paddle. 50 yards from the boat ramp and a couple of small dolphins popped up for a look and a feed, my mates son nearly had fits when he saw the fins come out the water.

I managed to hook up a couple of small Bream but it was weedy as all hell and my SX40 kept on getting clogged up. It was prime flatty area but I was disappointed not to get any hits at all, awesome kayaking country the scenery is just fantastic!

Saturday night we went for a fish I was flicking my SX40 around the pontoons and my friend Mike asked if we could do a swap as he wanted to try out my rod. As he admitted his rig was a cheapy KMART special...never the less I took hold of his rod and watched on as he flicked my Ian Miller Rod around with ease. Next minute I felt a bang on his rod but then nothing...then a head shake then nothing....in the end I pulled up a 40cm flatty!!! I couldn't believe it!!:laugh: Holding someone else’s rod!

Sunday morning I launched the yak at Inskip point determined to use plastics only! I paddled towards the Fraser Island ferry...as I past the ferry my rod went nuts as I was trolling a Squidy flat tail plastic that I got with Fishing World magazine! I pulled in a nice choppa Tailor - my first ever! I made a few more passes and bang got another tailor, man their teeth are sharp and the plastic was smashed to shreds on the second hook up.

All in all it is really a beautiful place to be in the world and I will definitely be going back for another trip! I would have headed off shore but with my shoulder injury I am out of shape at the moment, I am so keen to get some snapper!

The highlight for me is my new fishing buddy - Milo a 7 week old Chocolate Labby, he took to the yak like ...well fish to water! By Sunday morning he was taking his rightful spot at the front of the yak, like he was king of the yakkers!

Batty

Nice going as usual Smithy.

We fished off Wide Bay Bar from monday to wednesday and saw you a few times and gave you a wave. We were in 620 Barcrusher.

We did pretty well on Monday and Tuesday but had a crap day on Wednesday when the wind picked up. Will post a report soon.

Archived