Offshore Kayaking: Brays Rock and the Blinker

Terry H

Not too much to report from Today.

Headed up to Caloundra armed with plastics and a host of offshore trolling lures. :P :laugh: ;)

Got to the boat ramp around 5:30 to find Neil and Tony already at the ramp preparing the Hobie Outback and Sport for today’s fun. Found out Lee’s alarm didn’t work again, and he was a bit later than us. I trolled a viper on the way to the beacon for not a touch, not sure what Schultz’s were using. Lee managed to pick up 6 fish, a few pike, tailor and a squire on his way over to the beacon.

Once we were at the beacon I think it was Tony who was on first with a smaller squire, not too long after that I decided my 7†plastic on ¼ wasn’t doing anything so threw a 7†gulp on the 5/8ths jighead. I was instantly rewarded with a small squire that I didn’t bother having a photo with :laugh:

There were plenty of hits, bream style stuff, a few chopped of tails and just a general nuisance with no visible snapper hanging around.

Tony was the only other person to hook up at the beacon with another nice little squire. After a while Lee and I busted out some trolling lures (VIPERS) and headed for NW2 beacon. After a short trip we decided brays was significantly closer and couldn’t be stuffed going that extra 4-5kilometres to NW2. Headed towards brays, I dropped my 7†plastic down on things that looked like they may have had a fish, but no avail.

Once we arrived at Brays we saw some baitfish getting harassed by something so quickly threw on some slugs to try and whip up whatever was doing the hitting. Lee managed to hook a nice sized yakka and quickly threw that on as a livey. I slipped on an sx48 and slowly trolled around while flicking a slug around. I managed to pick up a Tarwhine of about 30cm, a few yakkas and a pike. Then I lost that lure :unsure::angry: Oh well. Somewhere along here Lee and I picked up some type of trevally, I got a double hook up on a yakka and trev, nothing of size maybe 30s

Checked up with Lee, apparently his livey got nailed but lost the fish after it took about 20m of drag off. Schultzy hooked up to a kingy apparently, around the 60-70cm mark but lost it near the yak, and also got owned by a fish that he thinks was a large cod.

I decided I want my own pet livey to drag around so caught one on a slug and threw it on. Also threw on an sx 40. And trolled around brays rock along with some of the deeper surrounding water. Schultzy and Tony had left by this stage, so we were thinking about going back, a few more pedals around, few more yakkas caught and then I started to drag the sx40 over the rocks, water crashing and breaking literally 15 metres from my kayak, eyes reading the sounder for any significant rises in water depth to avoid the risk of having a wave crashed into me. I managed to drag up some rat wrasse - the ones I caught a million of near the mouth of brissy river.

Then... bang! Oh, this one actually wants to pull drag off my 4lbs. Oo this feels a bit better.

Rod’s buckled over, but hey, the lure does that anyway...

And some more drag comes off, not a lot but it’s still drag

And now this fish has crossed the line of my livey, so I can see a big tangle coming up

And now I’m freaking bricked.... “he’s got me on the rocks!†I said to lee... so I freespool it, and give it a tug. You beauty its free. So after a nice little fight I see colour, Lee comments how it looks like a nice fish. “Could be a PB Bream by the looks of it†Yeap. Good offshore trolling lure that. The sx40 trolling about a kilometre offshore... :laugh: :laugh:

And this beauty comes up:

19-07-2008-OffshoreCaloundra-Terry-.jpg

A nice healthy specimen at 42.5cm, just edging out my old PB from many moons ago, but also a lure/artificial and kayak PB. Previous PB at 42cm was on bait, so this felt much more satisfying :).

Not much happened after this, I trolled over some more shallow rock beds and some deeper water dragging the liveys along for no luck.

So note to self: SX40s catch big fish, 96cm flathead, 42.5cm bream..... and are great for trolling offshore :laugh:

Check his hatches check his hatches before launch tomorrow !! Hahahahaha:laugh:

Nice breambo Terry.:woohoo:

We were fishing offshore in about 65metres of water on a glassed out day with very little run in the water. The pesky bloody bream were stealing our baits with the odd one landed. Anyway George has a nibble and starts winding it in unsure if he had anything and then whammo! off it goes. Half an hour later this 20kg Samson comes aboard. Guess what's in it's mouth - a live bream on the bottom hook. It had a submarine ride to the surface and got sent back to it's mates embarrassed and unharmed (just like you were on the first squire:P ) :laugh: [img size=385]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Brian_with_Samson-6ed3231b80f0165c55596ecf85ec73c5.JPG

post-564-144598465354_thumb.jpg

yeah tough day out on the water today, The snapper just were not there in any numbers. I got a early 40's model on the Viper on the troll out and 3 pike and 2 small Choppers on a halco as well. got nothing at the beacon, so headed to brays. Got a some livies had the live smashed zzzzzzzzzzzzz go to set the hook and nothing :(:( but hang on still got weight so I thought the livie was still there well at least some of him lol, but no he was all there and not even a scratch on him the rear hook I had near the anal fin had been reefed out though. no bit marks or anything on the yakka so Im guessing something without teeth mayba a good king or cobia it was a god sized livie probly about 30cm . anyway I got 5 or 6 smaller trevally on a slug as well as a pike and a half a dozen or so yakkas.

Lee

We just knew the snapper were going to play hard to get with the camera along today.;)

As Terry mentioned Tony got a couple of squire on softies out wide, both on a 5" Bozos rigged smelt in the brown trout colour.

I dropped a nice rat king of about 60cm when i grabbed the leader to lift him in. :(

Lost my favourite Viper to a reef dwelling monster, most likely a solid cod.

But I did have some joy. Landed a low 40s squire on my Spoonbill about 300 yards from the boat ramp. MMM squire for tea. :cheer:

Checking out the scenery. [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/AFO_8003.jpg

post-108-144598465357_thumb.jpg

Well done boys, great to see everybody happy and a bit up beat about the slow day on the stonkers.

Terry, great to see you got a decent fish today mate, well done. :silly:

Lee, don't go fishing without your good luck charm - ME :woohoo: .

Great piccy's guys.

Regards

Al

pcsolutionman wrote:

kriso wrote:
some nice fish there lads and terry that bream is a silver squire!

Nah mate I can assure you its a bream its just that Terry is so small you could iron his shorts in the toaster:P :P :P :P makes all his fish look MASSIVE

Lee

Shh - it's all in how you hold the fish ;) ;) and no, I'm not purposely holding it out to the camera LOL, arms are very much bent.

EDIT:

I dont know about you guys, but I mentioned to Lee about teh colour.

The Bream I got really reminds me of those big (black?) bream they get down south. Big blue lips, dark body, chunky tails.... Sort of like that one Nabs got in tasmania...

TerryH wrote:

Tony was the only other person to hook up at the beacon with another nice little squire.

Terry and Lee, thanks for showing us around on Saturday. I've only ever fished as far up as the Caloundra bar though dad has fished Brays and the blinker out of his tinny but not the kayak before.

Oh. by the way, my PB snapper is now 52cm :P

Not for much longer though.

Longtail Tony wrote:

TerryH wrote:

Tony was the only other person to hook up at the beacon with another nice little squire.

Terry and Lee, thanks for showing us around on Saturday. I've only ever fished as far up as the Caloundra bar though dad has fished Brays and the blinker out of his tinny but not the kayak before.

Oh. by the way, my PB snapper is now 52cm :P

Not for much longer though.

No worries, glad to have you come out. was a shame the fish didn't fire, but as neil said it was bound to happen with the cameras out, lol.

Nice fish too mate, your first squire+snapper? I'm sure if you come out a few more times it wont last long :)

Archived