Mounting the spare wheel on the trailer

Feral

Well got myself one of those kits so I could mount the spare trailer wheel on the front of the trailer, instead of the missus whinging every time I left it in the boot of the Camry!

Fitted it on, easy job, looks good.

Then I thought I would check how much it had affected the draw bar down weight (was 70kg).

So out with my trusty 100kilo fish scales, and attempted to weigh it. Bang! broke scales! went arse over, smacked myself in the chops and landed on my bum.

Looked as the scales, indicator said 105kg and they were well and truly stuffed! Dont know if thats right, wouldn't have the lot would have weighed that much!

SO I will turn it around so it mounts under the front of the boat, instead of in front of the winch post, that will reduce weight somewhat. Still keen to have it there though!

Brian,

50 bucks from Supercheap, got everything in it. They maker them to suit ford or holden bearings, make sure you check the box for the right one! (You need to already have a spare hub)

Ray has a bit of cut off axle for me, but by the time I weld it to some RHS, get some clamps, paint it all, happy to pay the $50.

First go

trailer1st.jpg

2nd go

trailer2nd.jpg

getting a bit crowded on the winch post!

trailercrowded.jpg

Shrimpo, checked a standard 40mm padlock,the loop fits through the natural slot on the rim, so if I get an extended length one I should just be able to drop a bit of chain around the arm of the trailer and through the padlock.

Lock nuts wouldn't work Namyau, they could just undo the castellated nut on the axle itself, take wheel and hub.

Remember you only have to make it harder to knock off than taking a wheel off the trailer itself. If they want a wheel, its not to hard to pinch one of the trailer road wheels.

Archived