Venomous fish!!!! becareful handling

kriso

Hey Guys,

after reading about manglers encounter with a stone fish i thought i would quickly throw up some pics of the main poisoness fish that a rec fisho would encounter for the newbies to fishing.

this is a happy moment if you get spiked it will hurt - bad [img size=200]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/happymoment.jpg

post-1088-144598473605_thumb.jpg

kriso wrote:

note all these fish will still hurt you even if handled dead! do be carefull

yep once caught a happy moment - took it home (its a fish asians eat overseas) and thought my parents would enjoy it - was gutting and cleaning it in the kitchen and one of the dorsal spikes just brushed my hand, didnt even pierce the skin and it hurt for a few hrs

for all you cast netters out there, i caught a blue ringed octopus in the net at colmslie at night, it was quite easy to see, but thought what tha, then i had a closer look, the first 1 i had seen in real life, for christ's sake keep your kids away from where you drop your net as these are a very brightly colored animal not much bigger than a matchbox

aaaaarrrrgggghhhh, the little bugger's coming back to haunt me!!!

No seriously, believe me, when they say stonefish hurt, they do! Best thing for it is hot water ASAP (hot as you can handle) & medical treatment.

Anyone else know about any other remedies???

My old man reckons WD40 sprayed on a Happy Moment sting, he used to eat them & occasionally spiked himself accidentally when cleaning, reckons they just tasted like a silver trevally.

Another fish that leaves a bit of a nasty sting too is the Red Rock Cod (yep me old man used to eat them too) but mainly found down the NSW coast. But I think someone recently caught one up this way too I seen in a report.

Cheers,

Matt

Red Rock Cod (Scorpion Fish) are really common up here, just generally found in 15m+ & offshore. Never been spiked myself by them, but they've got some good looking spines and their related to Stonefish :silly: and a few other fish like that (such as Wasp Fish). Taste bloody awesome though, especially when you can get a good fillet off them:cheer:

Although, "poisonous" refers to the fish itself being inedible. "Venomous" means it produces venom, so (as nerdy as it sounds:silly::pinch:) "venomous" is the more correct term for these fish, as all of these are edible (though I don't reccomend it for some).

Archived