Adjusting my baitcaster brakes

adri4n

Hey guys, I've been using my baitcaster for a while now and I've been doing pretty well, I can get quite good distance on them, still need to work on the accuracy. I'm trying to tone down the brakes on my trion 66 round baitcaster. It has 4 pin centrifugal brakes, I tried turning 2 of them off and I manage to cast properly, the only problem is I realise that they slid back to the "on" position after a few casts. Finally I decided to take the blocks off, so I have 2 blocks on and 2 with no blocks at all. It seems to cast alright, though I had some trouble with the strong winds the last couple of days.

I don't know if its common place for this problem to happen, it bugs me a little bit, and I suppose it doesn't matter as long as it works, but does anyone have any input on this? like why the blocks don't stay on the "off" position. I'd appreciate any help. Thanks

2 off is how I run my trions as well. any less and you start to get probs, but I pretty much dont use lures under 50mm, so it might be alright with smaller than that.

Do the rest of your adjustment through the spool tension adjustment knob.

Otherwise if you keen to get extra distance do a search on "supertuning baitcasters" plenty of sites out there, changing the grade of oil, changing bearings etc etc all to get that yard or two. But be aware it's easy to make your reel in to a pig for general use, they might cast further and smoother, but they will also backlash as soon as look at you!

As for the wind, how are you casting? I pretty much cast underhand all the time with baitcasters, the lure is never more than a couple of feet off the water, helps on windy days (no big line belly for the wind to catch).

Archived