sharkin night results

madmullet

blair and i hit the brisbane river friday night around 7.30.

i took my jet ski along to run the baits as i didnt feel like paddling them out.

post-8878-144598581469_thumb.jpg

with in the hr, the penn international 80w with a 1m long eel screemed of, but after 5-10 secs of it running with the bait, it dropped it. we only got 1 other run before midnight and hook and landed a small 80cm bull shark.

post-8878-14459858148_thumb.jpg

their was a heap of fresh water in the system as i will explain in another post called ( unexspected and worring catch ) all in all not a productive night but still enjoyed myself.... thanks

the best way of bleeding a shark properly. if you cut off the head they die to quickly, resulting in a higher chance of blood and amoia left in the flesh....

Wow never heard of that method before especially bleeding them TOO quickly :blink: do they taste any different done that way?

nice one mate.tyhe jet ski is a cool idea.

although seems a bit of a slow death to the poor ol sharky dockin its tail you would think it would stress it out more.

I thought removal of the fins and head instantly was a must if you were going to eat shark its what they call trunking, yeah?? but anyway you would eat them more than me so you would notice the taste differance. so how do you feel about eat shark from river? you reckon the river is clean enough to eat fish from it yet, they reckon the ecoli/bacteria levels are through the roof -off the scale so to speak. dont wana see ya get sick ay mate.

the best way of bleeding a shark properly. if you cut off the head they die to quickly, resulting in a higher chance of blood and amoia left in the flesh....

Wow never heard of that method before especially bleeding them TOO quickly :blink: do they taste any different done that way?

Sharks convert urine to urea; which is really converted ammonia. This urine/urea is absorbed into the flesh of the shark and expelled through the skin. When a shark dies the urea is basicly converted back to ammonia.

When the shark dies, the ammonia flavor and odor begin to permeate back into the flesh. The urea like compounds in shark blood will immediately start to break down into ammonia. That is why shark meat has a slight ammonia taste and smell.

Bleeding by tail docking gives a better flush out,and I like to get rid of the spleen and blood around the spine,and skin the fillets as soon as possible,after bleeding and get the fillets in ice as quickly as I can.

When ever I have purposely gone targeting a small bully for a dinner plate,I take large clip seal food bags with me so I can put the fillets in them before dropping the fillets in the esky.

I always freeze the fillets,when I get home,I leave them freezing for at least 2 weeks before I start to use them,it seems to knock out any remaining slight hint of ammonia.

Archived