Redlands Repression Crabbing banned from jetties.

rayke1938

Smoking and crab pots to be outlawed at local jetties

JUDITH KERR

05 May, 2011 12:00 AM

SMOKING and putting down crab pots off Redland jetties will be two activities outlawed if Redland City Council approves changes to Local Law No 14.

The council hopes to repeal its existing law, which governs jetties and loading ramps, and replace it with the new local law.

Under the council's draft Local Law No 14 (Jetties, Ramps and Ferries), it will also be illegal to "obstruct, inconvenience, annoy or offend any person" on a jetty, ramp or ferry.

The Southern Moreton Bay Island (SMBI) Forum has notified its members and bay island residents of the draft legislation and asked for comments.

Macleay Island resident Robert Hopgood said his concerns about sections of the legislation were in a submission to the SMBI Forum.

"I am concerned about the extra powers this legislation may give to the council," Mr Hopgood said.

"Effectively, this law gives council control over ferry prices, which is a State Government jurisdiction at the moment.

"The wording of the draft proposal is also ambiguous and the council should try to make the words as specific as possible.

"The draft makes it quite specific that you can't hang a crab pot off a council jetty but it gets very wishy-washy when it comes to fishing off a jetty.

"With smoking, I can't see clearly where the laws apply ? whether they also apply to the pontoon or the ramp to the pontoon or the shed at the top of the ramp.

"We're overregulated already and the problem is that the council only polices these regulations when it suits them.

"Parts of the draft are great and will stop people hurting themselves if they are jumping off jetties, but there must be some sort of balance," Mr Hopgood said.

The proposed new Local Law No. 14 (Jetties, Ramps and Ferries) 2011 and Subordinate Local Law No. 14 (Jetties, Ramps and Ferries) 2011 will replace the current laws after the State Government's recent change to its Tobacco Act 2008, which now allows councils to prohibit smoking at public transport waiting points.

:S My Gosh what next :dry:

I don't know Kiwi but but at some point I will just do what I want.

Its getting out of hand all these rules now ''No smoking'' hahahah... :lol::lol:;)

Dont worry about Crab Pots @ Smoking worry about the illegal boat people comming over FIRST :dry:

but is it causing such a nuisance having a cigarette whilst fishing on a jetty and having a rope tied to a jetty with a crab pot in the water how is it disturbing anyone at all

Hell i dont know hahahaha..I dont use Crab Pots @ i dont smoke hahahahah so im lucky :)

Plus i came through customs on a plane from NZ so i dont have to worry about going to christmas island for a holladay :ohmy: :lol::lol:;):)

I'll bloody well smoke where I please, what a load of shit, and as for the crab pots, I spose if the feral brigade didn't leave there shit laying around like stinks baits and mud from the pots laying around on the betty then maybe it wouldn't matter so much..

I'll bloody well smoke where I please, what a load of shit, and as for the crab pots, I spose if the feral brigade didn't leave there shit laying around like stinks baits and mud from the pots laying around on the betty then maybe it wouldn't matter so much..

Poor betty :P:lol:

Agree though. You should have seen the look on the servo attendants face the other day when I put a smoke in my mouth :woohoo: :lol:

You have touched a nerve with me in this post. Next thing you know they will ban fishing from the wharves entirely, it happened in Cairns. Most public access areas are now 'no fishing', all introduced due to public liability issues. It was the bloody loser yobbos smashing beer bottles, leaving crap everywhere, and getting drunk and picking fights that ruined it for us responsible fishos :angry: . Makes my blood boil as now can't access a 'neverfail' fingermark spot I had. Hope the same doesn't happen to you blokes down there. Thankfully I was smart enough to stay in reserves when I got out of the Navy so I still have access to the base (which is great as its out of bounds to the loser element!), otherwise I'd have extremely few options for good landbased spots.

Archived