North Pine River yesterday morning

Gloomy Samurai

Hi

I had put in an order for some Daiwa Double Clutch lures about 6 weeks ago which finally arrived on Friday. So was really looking forward to a fish somewhere.

Launched at Leis Park at 6.30 yesterday morning. First cast with my new lure and I am on to something, for about 4 seconds and then snap goes the leader. Anyway, pleased I got a stock of them.

Kept moving up the river with the tide. Got a couple of flathead around the 40cm mark (didn't measure as I won't keep them under 50cm). Also 3 just legal bream, but not worth keeping.

Was heading back after the change of the tide throwing a soft plastic around and then all of a sudden a really good hit, line spooling off the reel against the drag and carving through the water. First thought was a tailor, and second thought was this isn't going to last long (6 lb leader). Next the fish is doing some aerial stuff so first hook up of a tarpon. I know these things are hard to get a hook into, but I thought I had it as it continued to jump and I thought it was tiring after a bit of a fight. Anyway, almost back to the kayak, reached for the net and........ nothing, fish gone.

I hung around the same area for a while and got a small mullet on the same platic. Drifted back to the car with no further hits.

A good, if frustrating morning.

Andrew

Archived